West Carleton Township
Neighbourhoods located in West Carleton Township:
- Fitzroy Harbour
- Marathon Village
- Marshall Bay
- Mohr Corners
- Quyon Ferry Landing
- Smith’s Corners
- Vydon Acres
- Willola Beach
- Huntley Manor Estates
- Manion Corners
- Westmont Estates
- Baskin’s Beach
- Buckhams Bay
- Constance Bay
- Crown Point
- Dunrobin Heights
- Dunrobin Shore
- McKay’s Waterfront
- Torwood Estates
Fitzroy Harbour is a small village within the city of Ottawa in eastern Ontario. It is located on the Ottawa River at the mouth of the Carp River. A branch of the Mississippi River, known as the Snye, also empties into the Ottawa to the west of the village.
Fitzroy Provincial Park is located nearby.
The town was founded by Charles Shirreff in 1831. There was a waterfall known as Chats Falls on the river Ottawa River, later replaced by a hydroelectric power station and dam, currently operated by Ontario Power Generation.
By 1866, Fitzroy Harbour was a post village with a population of 200 of the Fitzroy Township, on the Ottawa river, at the head of the Duchesne lake navigation, on a small bay, dotted with beautiful islands. The picturesque Chats Falls, which form eleven falls, and plunge thirty-three feet is nearby. On the south side of the river, directly opposite the village, was the Government timber slide. The community had hydroelectroelectric power, manufacturing, three churches, built of stone: the Church of England, the Canada Presbyterian church, and the Roman Catholic church. The Fourth Division Court was held here and at Riddle’s Corners, alternately. The Loyal Orange Lodge, No. 541, met at thc Orange Hall, on the first Friday in each month.
In 1974, Fitzroy Township was amalgamated with Huntley and Torbolton to form West Carleton.
In 1977, the Fitzroy Harbour Community Centre was constructed. This facility currently features a main hall and meeting rooms, two softball diamonds, soccer pitches, a playground and an outdoor rink.
In 2001, West Carleton Township became part of the new City of Ottawa.
Galetta is a dispersed rural community in West Carleton-March Ward in rural western Ottawa, Ontario. It is located on the Mississippi River near its mouth in the Ottawa River. Once part of Fitzroy Township and later West Carleton, it is now part of the city of Ottawa.
According to the Canada 2011 Census, the population of Galetta’s Dissemination Area was 545, which also includes nearby communities Vydon Acres, Marshall Bay and part of Mohr Corners.
The area was first settled in 1823. It was originally named Hubbell’s Falls after James Hubbell.
The Post Office was established in 1850, and was kept at Riddle’s or Mohr’s Corners, James Riddle served as postmaster in 1866. By 1866, Hubbell’s Falls was a village with a population of about 200 in the township of Fitzroy, on the Mississippi river. The river here has a fall of twenty feet. It contained a school, with an average attendance of forty.five pupils.
It was renamed Steen’s Falls after James Steen who built a mill here, and finally Galetta in 1873 after James Galetti Whyte who also built mills on the river here.
In 1892, the Ottawa, Arnprior and Parry Sound Railway built a line through the town, which later became a branch line on the Canadian National Railway. Since 1974, use has been limited.
A small hydroelectric plant on the Mississippi River is in Galetta, operational since 1907, now the property of Canadian Hydro.
Carp is a compact rural community in West Carleton-March Ward in the City of Ottawa, located in the northwestern portion of the municipality on the Carp River. Prior to amalgamation in 2001, Carp was located in the Township of West Carleton
Carp is located in the Carleton-Mississippi Mills electoral riding.
According to the Canada 2011 Census, 1,965 people lived in the area around Carp (Craig Sideroad/Murphy Sideroad on the north, former Township limits on the east, March Road on the south and Thomas Argue Road on the west)
By 1866, Carp was a post village with a population of 200 of the Township of Huntley on the Carp river, 20 miles from Ottawa. The village contained three stores, workshops, three hotels, and a town hall. The Loyal Orange Lodge, No. 439, met at the Orange Hall Carp on the first Wednesday in each month. Citizens included J. W. Featherston, general merchant and postmaster.
The village takes its name from the Carp River which runs through the village. The main street was formerly a section of the Trans-Canada Highway and carried much of the traffic coming from the west into Ottawa. However the village has been bypassed with the development of the Highway 417.
With the amalgamation of municipal governments in the region in 2001, Carp is now governed as part of the new city of Ottawa. Carp is used as a mailing address for most of the former Huntley Township. As such, residents of this large area will identify themselves as living in Carp although they may live large distances from the village proper.
Features and attractions
CFS Carp Diefenbunker
Carp’s main attraction is the Diefenbunker, Canada’s Cold War museum located just north of the village, and was featured in the film The Sum of All Fears. This formerly top-secret underground bunker was originally built to house key members of the government in the event of a nuclear attack on Ottawa.
In 1960, NATO and the Canadian Department of National Defence built a satellite communications (SATCOM) station which supports a 68-foot diameter metal space frame radar dome (radome) on its roof, which provides environmental protection for the 50-foot diameter SATCOM antenna it houses. Until 1999 when NATO and DND decommissioned the site, the antenna provided satellite communications between all NATO countries. In 1999, it was purchased by Canadian Space Services Ltd. to serve as its corporate headquarters.
The Carp Exhibit Hall, one of the few remaining octagonal frame fairground buildings in Ontario, continues to function as the main fairground hall for the Carp Fair held in September each year since 1880. During the remainder of the year, the buildings and grounds serve the popular Carp Farmers’ Market held each Saturday from May to October. The red-painted Exhibit Hall with white trim, which remains a focal point in Carp was included amongst other architecturally interesting and historically significant buildings in Doors Open Ottawa, held June 2 and 3, 2012.
The Carleton Masonic Lodge #465, a turn of the Century (1900’s) Church building has been the Masonic Lodge in the Village of Carp since 1925. The building features original stained glass windows and is decorated with beautiful oak furniture that was originally located in a World War I Military Masonic Lodge in France. The original Masonic lodge building, which dates to 1904 was destroyed by fire in 1920.
Carp was the site of an alleged 1989 UFO landing. It has been called “One Of The Most Significant Cases In UFO History.” Someone dubbed ‘Guardian’ filmed the entire UFO crash. The American TV Show Unsolved Mysteries filmed an episode on Guardian in 1993.
There are three schools in the Carp area: Huntley Centennial Public School, St. Michael’s (Corkery), and Venta, a private school.
The Carp Airport is located just south of the village.
The Carp River
This Carp river initially took its name due to the overwhelming amount of the carp fish that lived within it. In the early 19th century the river was overrun with the fish because farmers used to throw all of their dead animals in it. Conversely, in “Carleton Saga” by Harry and Olive Walker, the over-abundant fish is said by early French explorers to be suckers and mud-pout, that in French translate as carpe.
Corkery is a dispersed rural community in West Carleton-March Ward in the western part of Ottawa. It is located about 9km southwest of Carp, in the former Township of West Carleton.
Corkery was founded by approximately 100 Irish families from County Cork immigrating to the region in the early 19th century, locally known as the “Peter Robinson settlers”.
The first church in the village was built in 1837, although some reports put it at 1824 which would make it the second-oldest Catholic church in the Ottawa region. Construction began in 1864 on a stone church meant to replace the wooden structure. On February 26, 1865 the church was completed and consecrated as St. Michael’s Catholic Parish. The parish operated in debt for nearly two decades, until Rev. Patrick Corkery became minister in 1884, and spent the next twenty years improving and renovating the church.
Constance Bay is a population centre in West Carleton-March Ward in the rural northwest of the City of Ottawa. Prior to amalgamation in 2001, the community was part of West Carleton Township. It is situated 25km northwest of the suburb of Kanata. The community surrounds the Torbolton Forest (a protected and managed green-space) and is located on a peninsula between Constance and Buckham’s Bay on the Ottawa River. According to the Canada 2011 Census, the population of the community was 2,364. 86% of dwellings are occupied by usual residents
The community has services of a (licensed) general store, 2 restaurants, a bar/lounge, and a chapel. The Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 616 is also located in the village.
During the summer months the community offers 2 beaches, recreational boating, water skiing, canoeing, hiking, horseback riding, and cycling. During the winter months there is ice fishing, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, ice skating and horseback riding.
A Community Centre is located in the centre of the community, the centre’s operation is overseen by the Constance & Buckham’s Bay Community Association. The Community Centre includes a free skateboard park along with 2 baseball diamonds (both fully illuminated for night play), soccer fields (full and mini), play-structure, outdoor ice rink, and a concession stand operated by community volunteers.
The actual bay was named by French Fur Traders after Simon Constant who was a member of the Algonquin First Nation and who was in the area before white settlers arrived.
T.W. Edwin Sowter, a hobby archaeologist from Aylmer, Quebec, first identified the presence of archaeological sites at Constance Bay in the late 1800s. However, details of these sites were not available until Gordon Watson excavated a site in his Constance Bay cottage yard in the early 1970s. Watson documented his findings in “A Woodland Indian Site at Constance Bay” available from the Ontario Archaeological Society. One item in the Watson collection is a large reconstructed ceramic vessel dating to about 2,500 years ago.
In 1946 St. Gabriel’s first chapel opened for services. Father J. Lorne Reynolds appointed parish priest.
Hydro (electric service) was brought into the community in the summer of 1951.
In the spring/summer of 2005, Enbridge Gas Distribution brought Natural Gas to the community.
The 147 hectare Torbolton Forest is a managed greenspace and home to rare plant life, animals and birds. The forest has been designated by the Province of Ontario as a provincially significant Area of Natural and Scientific Interest (Life Science).
Dunrobin is a community in West Carleton-March Ward in the City of Ottawa. It is located about 35 kilometres northwest of Downtown Ottawa. Dunrobin lies within a valley, nestled between the Ottawa River and the Carp escarpment, and is located at 45.18° latitude and 75.55° longitude. Dunrobin is located on the former boundary between West Carleton Township and Kanata (formerly March Township). Dunrobin was amalgamated with the city of Ottawa in 2000. Dunrobin is expanding steadily with a current population of about 1,000 people.
The Dunrobin Community Association defines the community boundaries as Murphy Sideroad, Constance Lake Road and Berry Sideroad on the south, the Ottawa River to the east, a line following Limestone Road to Kinburn Sideroad to Stonecrest Road to Thomas A. Dolan Parkway to Marchhurst Road, and on the north by a line following Kilmaurs Sideroad to Woodkilton Road to Kinburn Sideroad to Constance Creek on the north.
Dunrobin was settled in the 19th century at the corner of Dunrobin Road and Thomas A. Dolan Parkway. The town centre comprises a community centre with outdoor recreation facilities and a number of small businesses. While originally started as an agricultural community it now serves mostly as a focal point within a larger community that has a mixed population of farmers, commuters who work in Kanata and Ottawa-Gatineau, cottagers and pensioners.
Dunrobin took its name from Dunrobin Castle near Inverness, Scotland.
- Posted Rates
- Our Rates
- Variable Rates
- 1 YEAR
- 2 YEARS
- 3 YEARS
- 4 YEARS
- 5 YEARS
- 7 YEARS
- 10 YEARS