Neighbourhoods located in Gloucester:
- Beacon Heights
- Beacon Hill North
- Beacon Hill
- Blackburn Hamlet
- Blossom Park
- Carlsbad Springs
- Carson Grove
- Chapel Hill
- Chateau Neuf
- Convent Glen
- Convent Glen South
- Elizabeth Park
- Findlay Creek
- Gloucester Glen
- Hiawatha Park
- Honey Gables
- Johnston Corners
- Manotick Station
- Orléans Village
- Orléans Wood
- Riverside South
- Rothwell Heights
- South Gloucester
- Victory Hill
- Windsor Park Village
Gloucester is a suburb of and within the City of Ottawa. Gloucester Township was established in 1792 and originally included lands east of the Rideau River from the Ottawa River south to Manotick. It was incorporated as a township in 1850 and became a city in 1981. Gloucester was one of the 11 municipalities that merged in 2001 to form the new city of Ottawa. As of the Canada 2011 Census, the former city of Gloucester had a population of 123,678. Gloucester took its name from Prince William Frederick, Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh.
Anglophone secular public schools are operated by the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board. Anglophone Catholic public schools are operated by the Ottawa Catholic School Board. French secular public schools are operated by the Conseil des écoles publiques de l’Est de l’Ontario (CÉPEO). The Conseil des écoles catholiques du Centre-Est (CECCE), formerly known as the Conseil des écoles catholiques de langue française du Centre-Est (CECLFCE), operates the French Catholic public schools.
The CECCE has its headquarters in Gloucester. The predecessor school district, the Conseil Des Écoles Catholiques de Langue Française de la Région D’Ottawa-Carleton (CECLF), had its headquarters in the current CECCE headquarters.
Beacon Hill is a neighbourhood located in Beacon Hill-Cyrville Ward in the east end of Ottawa. Beacon Hill was a part of the City of Gloucester until it was amalgamated with the new city of Ottawa in 2001.
Beacon Hill is a primarily residential area, built in the 1960s and ’70s. It consists of two parts, Beacon Hill North and Beacon Hill South, divided by Montreal Road. It includes the Robert O. Pickard sewage treatment plant. It is bounded on the east by the Greenbelt, including the Green’s Creek ravine, to the south by Highway 174, and on the west by the older neighbourhoods of Cardinal Heights (south of Montreal Road) and Rothwell Heights (north of Montreal Road).
Beacon Hill North had a population of 10,693 while Beacon Hill South had a population of 7,312 (18,005 total) according to the Canada 2011 Census.
- Beacon Heights
- Beacon Hill North
- Beacon Hill South
- Cardinal Heights
- Rothwell Heights
- Rothwell Village
It is most likely that the community drew its name from a lighthouse in the Ottawa River, downstream from Duck Island. It is thought that the light from the river could be seen from Naskapi Dr. (the top of the hill), hence Beacon Hill. Though the lighthouse is no longer in use, its foundation is still visible from the bike path. One of the key hangouts among young people in Beacon Hill is secret park or ‘seeks’ which is located behind T.D McGee Catholic School.
The ‘Hill’ the name refers to is actually a ridge running roughly parallel to the Ottawa River. A large, open area of the ridge is a municipal park (Ski Hill Park) and is located behind the Beacon Hill Mall on Ogilvie Road. Ski Hill Park is generally referred to as “Zeller’s Hill” by residents who lived in the community in the early 1990s when a Zellers department store occupied the Beacon Hill Mall. For the newer residents, it has been renamed “Shoppers’ Hill.”
In the mid- to late 1970s the Beacon Hill Community Association was formed. It was disbanded for lack of interest in the late 1980s. It was later revived as the Beacon Hill North Community Association (with borders to match the name) in 2009 by a group of residents, with the main goal to rally residents to help save local High School Colonel By from being closed.
In 2010 it was returned to the Beacon Hill Community Association, again with the expanded borders to include Beacon Hills North and South.
- Le Phare Elementary School (French Immersion Public)
- Robert Hopkins Elementary School (English/French Immersion Public)
- Henry Munro Middle School (English/French Immersion Public)
- Colonel By Secondary School (English/French Immersion Public, with International Baccalaureate Program)
- École élémentaire catholique La Vérendrye (French Catholic)
- École élémentaire publique Séraphin-Marion (French Public) now in the building of the former Lamira Dow Billings
Public Schools which closed following the 2000-2001 school year.
Thomas D’Arcy McGee Catholic School (English Catholic)
Gloucester High School
Lester B. Pearson Catholic High School
Brother Andre Catholic School (former Elmridge Catholic)
From largest to smallest:
- Green’s Creek (in Blackburn Hamlet)
- Ski Hill Park
- Loyola Park
Notable Beacon Hill Residents, Past and Present
- Grant Clitsome ( NHL hockey player)
- Tom Cruise (who was known as Thomas Mapother then) attended Henry Munro Middle School in the early 1970s
- Tom Green, comedian
- Bryan Adams attended Henry Munro Middle School and Colonel By Secondary School in the early 1970s
- Norm MacDonald, comedian
- Jordan Tannahill, playwright
Blackburn Hamlet is a suburban community in Innes Ward, in the east end of Ottawa. Before the 2001 amalgamation of the city of Ottawa, it was in the city of Gloucester. It is surrounded by rural areas and contains several older and newer areas of settlement. According to the Canada 2011 Census, its population was 8,237. The community took its name from Robert Blackburn, former Member of Parliament for Russell.
Often referred to by the locals as simply “Blackburn,” it is one of only two suburban areas (the other being Bells Corners) surrounded by National Capital Commission (NCC) Greenbelt lands as well as Canadian Federal Conservation Authority lands and lands owned by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) which were formerly the National Defence Proving Grounds. Together, these lands form part of Ottawa’s “Greenbelt” and provide Blackburn Hamlet residents and visitors with over 250 km of hiking and cross country skiing trails.
Blackburn is represented at city council but there is active community volunteer involvement as well through the Blackburn Community Association (BCA). Many activities, clubs, events and committees are run through the BCA.
The earliest settlers to the area arrived between 1803 and 1811, most of whom were of English or Irish descent.
In the early 19th century, the area was called “Green’s Creek” after Robert Green who operated a sawmill on the creek. By 1834, the timber was exhausted and the government lands had been sold to farmers who began to settle in the area. These people had to clear their own land and build their own roads and schools. In 1850, Richard Dagg donated the land for the first school in Blackburn. The area was subsequently called “Daggsville” after three families that settled there.
John Kemp and his family were one of the early settlers of Blackburn. When the first school burned down in 1915, a second school was built on the Kemp property where Blackburn Public School was located. Agnes Purdy and her husband William settled on Lot 9 across from St Mary the Virgin Anglican Church on Navan Road. Four generations of Purdys farmed the land until the NCC expropriated the farm for the Greenbelt. Agnes was significant as a major fundraiser for the church and as school board secretary for 20 years.
Innes Road running through the Hamlet was named after Alexander Innes who owned a farm further west than Blackburn Hamlet. He also ran the toll road -Russell Rd. heading east from St. Laurent Blvd. He was survived by John Innes who was reeve of Gloucester Township. Isaiah Scharf settled on a lot near Emily Carr School, four generations lived in Blackburn on what is now Innes Road. Some of the hamlet streets are named after these, and other early settlers, Kemp, Cleroux, Tauvette.
In 1858, Joshua Bradley settled in Blackburn. It was through the efforts of his son William Bradley and Robert Blackburn, (Reeve in 1864, then MP) that a post office was secured in 1876 and it was then that the area became known as “Blackburn”. The settlement during these times was divided in two, the area of “Blackburn Corners”, located around the existing intersection of Navan and Innes Rds; and “Blackburn Station”, the area around the existing intersection of Anderson and Innes Rds.
In 1958, the government gave authority to the NCC to establish a Greenbelt. Landowner Michael Budd and Costain Estates Ltd were key players in the creation and construction of the community as it is today, and it was renamed “Blackburn Hamlet”. In 1967 the first residents moved in. Budd Gardens is operated by Budd’s two sons on land now rented from the NCC and both families live in Blackburn.
Bob MacQuarrie was a Gloucester Councillor from 1958 to 1966 and was instrumental in providing to the Council and the NCC the feasibility of installing services to the Hamlet. MacQuarrie served as Deputy Reeve and Reeve 1969 to 1978 and as MPP 1981–85. Most of the homes were built in the 1960s and 1970s.
Next to Blackburn is Hornet’s Nest, an outdoor recreational facility containing 11 soccer fields. Also in Hornet’s Nest is a multi-use, privately owned indoor sports dome called the SuperDome, which houses an additional FIFA-approved soccer pitch. The SuperDome runs throughout the year, allowing summer sports to be played in the winter. École secondaire publique Louis-Riel is home to the Hamlet’s second dome, which is also the largest air-supported fabric structure indoor recreation facility in North America at 12,422 square meters (133,705 square feet). The Dome at Louis-Riel, like the SuperDome, also allows for year-round summer sports.
During the winter months, the Blackburn Arena opens its ice rink, where local residents can partake in hockey and public skating. The Green’s Creek toboggan hill, located just next to the hamlet, also opens with the snowfall, and is maintained by the City of Ottawa.
Early Childhood Education/Pre-School
Blackburn Hamlet Preschool
Glen Ogilvie Public School
Emily Carr Middle School
Norman Johnston Alternative School
Good Shepherd School
École secondaire publique Louis-Riel
École élémentaire catholique Sainte-Marie
According to the Canadian census, the population of Blackburn was 8,237 in 2011, a drop of 3.4% from the 2006 population of 8,527. About 17% of the population is under the age of 15, while those of retirement age (65 and over) comprise the same approximate percentage of the population, at 17%. In 2011, females made up about 53% of the population while males made up about 47%.
Blossom Park is a neighbourhood in Gloucester-Southgate Ward in the south-end of the city of Ottawa. Before the 2001 city of Ottawa amalgamation it was a suburb of the city of Gloucester. The current limits of the neighbourhood are: Hunt Club Road to the north, Airport Parkway to the west, Conroy Road to the east and the Greenbelt to the south (near Lester Road). According to the Canada 2011 Census, the population of the neighbourhood was 14,060.
The area was cleared and farmed by settlers who began to arrive in the early decades of the 19th Century. Early settlers included Charles Kinmond, a native of Perthshire, Scotland, James Spratt, Leonard Wood (1805–1888) and his wife Martha (1821–1905) and John Halpenny (1818–1873) who hailed from Wicklow, Ireland. Their farms were accessed by the Metcalfe Road, later known as Highway 31 (now Bank Street) which became a major regional thoroughfare by the middle of the century.
The first known reference to “Blossom Park” appeared in a subdivision plan which was drafted by the Bytown Suburb and Land Company for the north half of Lot 9, in the 4th Concession, Rideau Front of the Township of Gloucester which was approved by the township council on November 6, 1911 and subsequently filed at the Carleton County land registry office in Ottawa. A street grid was established but little development took place and the area remained essentially rural through the first half of the 20th Century. It was transformed into a suburban community with the construction of bungalows on 150 x 100 foot lots along Central Boulevard (now Kingsdale Avenue) and Rosebella Avenue and on the north side of Lawrence Avenue (now Queensdale) between Albion and Conroy Roads in the 1950s. Lots on the south side of Queensdale between the future site of the Sawmill Creek Housing Co-op (built 1983-84) and Conroy were sold piecemeal for residential development beginning in 1960.
Lots fronting on the east side of Highway 31 were severed by farmer John W. Goth (1878-1959) and sold piecemeal for residential development beginning in 1947.
Saint Bernard Roman Catholic Parish was established in 1957. Saint Bernard School had opened its doors in 1955 followed by the adjacent Blossom Park Public School in 1956 and later Sainte Bernadette: a French-language Roman Catholic school on the east side of Sixth Street which opened in 1965. The Kmart Plaza (now the Blossom Park Plaza) opened in 1970. Transit service was extended to the community by the Ottawa Transportation Commission (now OC Transpo) in 1972. The Quail Ridge subdivision was constructed in the late 1970s followed by Bernard Court (which was built in the early 1980s) and the Victoria Heights neighbourhood which was constructed in the late 1980s.
Wood’s Cemetery, on a hill on the west side of Bank Street was formally established in 1881, but the site had actually been used by settlers as a burial ground from the 1850s or earlier, the oldest marked grave being that of Charles Kinmond who died December 19, 1859. The adjacent Jewish Cemetery, now known as the Jewish Memorial Gardens, dates back to 1892, when leaders of the Adath Jeshurun Synagogue established a burial ground for the Ottawa-area Jewish Community.
The Gloucester Presbyterian Church, which was built in 1928 and stood on the west side of Highway 31 near Sieveright Road was demolished in 1990. The Aladdin Drive-In on Albion Road was a major local attraction from 1951 until its closure in 1993.
Blossom Park residents welcomed Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip when their motorcade passed through the community during the royal tour commemorating the centennial of Confederation in 1967. Former Prime Minister John Diefenbaker visited Blossom Park Public School in 1971. Ski Jumper Horst Bulau who competed on the World Cup circuit and represented Canada at four Olympics grew up in the neighbourhood and attended Blossom Park Public School.
Blossom Park reached a major milestone on the road from rural to suburban with the opening of the Kmart Plaza (now Blossom Park Plaza) on the site of a former cow pasture on the southwest corner of Highway 31 (Bank Street) and Queensdale Avenue in August 1970. Originally anchored by Kmart, the mall now features Farm Boy (opened July 10, 2003), Giant Tiger (opened September 1998), a dentist, hair dresser, Telus store and the Kallistro Greek restaurant. A KFC outlet opened on the northeast corner of the intersection of Bank and Kingsdale in June 1980. Originally a take-out location, a seating area and drive-thru were added later. A Becker’s convenience store opened on the southeast corner of Bank and Queensdale in 1986 in the building which had previously housed a motorcycle dealership and was originally a Shell service station built in the early 1970s. A Top-Valu service station was built around the same time on the opposite side of Queensdale. The Becker’s closed in 2011. The site is now occupied by an auto dealership. The Top-Valu station is now Pioneer. Dairy King, a fast food and ice cream take-out store, was a neighbourhood landmark on the southeast corner of Bank and Kingsdale from the 1960s until 2006. Chips & Dairy, a similar establishment, was opened on the west side of Bank at Kingsdale in 2004.
Popular neighbourhood establishments in the 1980s and ’90s included Gerry’s Steak House and downstairs bar which opened on the east side of Bank Street in the late 1970s and Chow’s Chinese restaurant on the west side of Bank. Gerry’s closed in 2000 and was replaced by the Kam Fung Chinese restaurant which closed in 2012. Chow’s, which opened in the early 1980s and closed in the mid-1990s, occupied a building which had previously housed the Steer Burger restaurant. The Steer Burger had opened as a take-out establishment in the 1970s and was eventually expanded to include seating. The site had previously been occupied by an Esso service station which had originally stood on the east side of Highway 31 (Bank Street) but was relocated when the former location was expropriated by the Ministry of Transportation when it widened the highway in 1957. Chow’s was the scene of Blossom Park’s first known murder when 34-year-old mother of two Anne Frances Yeo was shot and killed in the parking lot by her estranged boyfriend on May 18, 1985. The former Steer Burger/Chow’s was demolished in 2007.
K.S. Restaurant, named for its owner Khalil “Kelly” Swaita, popularly known as “K&S” and renowned for its pizza was a neighbourhood fixture from its opening in a strip mall on the northeast corner of Bank and Albion in 1971. It was renamed: K.S. on the Keys and relocated to Dazé Road near the South Keys Shopping Centre in 2009.
Many of the early settlers in the area were British and Irish immigrants and the population of the community remained of predominantly British and Irish origin through the 1950s. This began to change with the arrival of immigrants from central Europe and the Mediterranean region, particularly Italy, in the 1960s. In more recent decades the community has welcomed people of Caribbean and African origin and has grown more diverse.
The north-south light-rail line project (which was cancelled in 2006) was planned to pass on the western edge of the area when the expansion would have been completed in 2009. Natives disputed ownership of a parcel of land with the city of Ottawa that was to be used by the LRT line.
The Gloucester Historical Society Gloucester Place Name Project has identified several places within Blossom Park:
- Aladdin Village
- Emerald Woods
- Gates of Albion
- Quail Ridge
- Sawmill Creek Estates
- Victoria Heights
Carlsbad Springs is a rural community on Bear Brook in Cumberland Ward in Ottawa. Prior to amalgamation in 2001, the community was on the border between Gloucester and Cumberland. According to the Canada 2011 Census, the population of the surrounding area is 916 (area bounded on the north by Renaud Road and the CP Railway, 10th Line, on the east by Smith Road, Milton Road, Russell Road and Sand Road, on the south by Highway 417 and on the west by Anderson Road).
Mineral spa-hotel era: 1870–1930
This village near Canada’s capital city of Ottawa was first known as Boyd’s Mills, after the proprietor of the local mill on the Bear Brook, first to process white pine lumber, later a grain mill when the land was cleared in the early 19th century and wheat farming began, later as Eastman’s Springs, for Danny Eastman, who built the first inn to lodge travelers. In 1870, businessmen including future Ottawa mayor C.W. Bangs formed the Dominion Springs Company to build a spa-hotel, offering as a recreational and medical benefit the highly mineralized water found in most local wells.
In 1882, a railway through the area brought travelers from farther distant. The track is now the main railway line between Ottawa and Montreal, although a single track at Carlsbad Springs, which lost its local railway station in the 1970s.
Early in the 1900s the hotel became a successful resort, attracting the upper classes of nearby Ottawa. As well as mineral waters and sulphur baths, they enjoyed guest lecturers, walking paths, horseback riding facilities, archery, billiards, and lawn games, and the mineral water was bottled and sold throughout North America. As a marketing device the village was in 1906 renamed Carlsbad Springs after the most fashionable aristocratic resort in central Europe (now Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic,) where King Edward VII regularly took holidays. The resort spa did not survive the Depression of the 1930s. The all-wood hotel, the largest in the county for many years, became apartments in 1945 and was demolished in the 1980s.
Family farms and the big hotel helped the community grow in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, but Carlsbad Springs’ boom as a resort ended in the Great Depression of the 1930s, and by World War II, the resort and spa business dwindled. Most of the surrounding land was small dairy or chicken farms (up to 200 acres).
Unsuccessful official planning altered the local economy in the 1960s when the Ontario government proposed rebuilding Carlsbad Springs as a commuter city outside Ottawa’s Green Belt (200 km2.). Keen to co-operate, the National Capital Commission started acquiring farmland nearby, to provide the satellite city with its own Green Belt. Only then did it come to light that the local Leda clay soil cannot support tall buildings. Plans for the satellite city were abandoned, but the NCC retained thousands of acres of farmland, with no plans for whether or how it might be used. Some of the land was rented to farmers, but these diminished as the agricultural economy shrank in the 1980s.
As Carlsbad Springs was conveniently accessible from the main highway that runs through Ottawa (highway 417), it was attractive to commuters with jobs in the city. By the 1980s, gradual development took place in Carlsbad Springs, with modest homes on large, treed lots. Nonetheless, a semi-rural feel was maintained, due to the absence of subdivisions, and to the continued existence of a range of agricultural activities, ranging from berry-picking farms, horse-related businesses (e.g., equestrian boarding facilities), and hobby farms.
Franco-Ontarian culture has a dominant influence on the area, which can be seen in the French-language signs and in the active presence of spoken French in homes and community activities. In the wintertime, snowmobiling is both a well-loved Carlsbad Springs activity and a practical way of traveling throughout the area, as attested by the snowmobile trails that run alongside the areas’ major roads. The carnival is a popular event held every Winter at the end of January at Harkness Park and the Carlsbad Springs Community Centre (6020 Piperville Road).
In the mid-1990s, one of the remaining spring houses was restored, so that the community would be able to remember Carlsbad Springs’ past as a bustling resort and spa area. As well, Carlsbad Springs continued to attract other development, including a large golf course that was built close to highway 417. When Carlsbad Springs was amalgamated into the City of Ottawa, there was a mixed response from the community. While some residents were pleased that city services such as bus transportation would be available, other residents were concerned that the City of Ottawa’s urban bylaws and regulations would stifle the area’s semi-rural lifestyle.
A new community centre for Carlsbad Springs opened in 2011 at a cost of $3.2 million. The architect for the centre is the same one as the Shenkman Art Centre in Orléans. The Community Centre has a gymnasium, a multi-purpose room, a meeting room, a small office and a lobby area. Harkness Park, with its baseball field, a tennis court, a kids playground area, the new community centre and the surrounding facility will become the sports and leisure hub for the Carlsbad Springs community and rural east Ottawa.
The community is served by a low-power 15 watts tourist and community radio station, CJRO-FM, which operates at 107.7 MHz (FM) and is owned by the Carlsbad Springs Community Association. The name of the radio station is Carlsbad Info Radio and broadcasts from the Carlsbad Springs Community Centre.
External website (Carlsbad Springs Community Association): www.carlsbadsprings.ca
Carson Grove is a neighbourhood in the east end of Ottawa. The neighbourhood spans the former Ottawa-Gloucester boundary, which still forms the boundary between Rideau-Rockcliffe Ward and Beacon Hill-Cyrville Ward. It is bounded on the west by the Aviation Parkway, on the East by Bathgate Drive, on the North by La Cité collégiale and on the South by Ogilvie Road. According to the Canada 2011 Census, the neighbourhood had a population of 2,984.
Chapel Hill is a neighborhood in the east end of Ottawa, within the community of Orleans. It is considered an outer-suburb of Ottawa, and before the 2001 amalgamation of the city of Ottawa, it was part of the former City of Gloucester. Chapel Hill consists of mostly single family homes situated next to the National Capital Commission (NCC) Greenbelt and surrounding rural areas. The area is divided into two parts by Innes Road: Chapel Hill North and Chapel Hill South. According to the 2011 Census, the population of Chapel Hill is 15,917 people, with 7,396 in the south and 8,521 in the north.
École élémentaire publique le Prélude
École élémentaire catholique Notre-Dame-des-Champs
Forest Valley Elementary School
Chapel Hill Catholic School
Cyrville (also referred to as Cummings) is a neighbourhood in Beacon Hill-Cyrville Ward in the east-end of Ottawa. The area is located within the former City of Gloucester, and is bounded on the north, west and south by the former Gloucester City limit, and on the east by the Aviation Parkway and Highway 417. The area is mostly Industrial in nature (being home to the Cyrville Industrial Area). It has a population of 4611 (2011 census), 342 of which live south of the Queensway.
The area was founded as the Village of Cyrville in 1853 by Michel Cyr, when he bought lot 27, 2nd Concession, Ottawa front of Gloucester Township. This area runs from Innes Road in the south to Ogilvie Road in the north and from St. Laurent in the west to Cummings Avenue in the east. A post office was built in 1850 and was named Cyrville in 1892. It would be closed down in 1965. The founding settlers of the village were French Catholics. In 1872, the Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes Church. was built. A school would be built around the same time. The Canadian National Railway was built through the village in 1909 along with a station. The railway was removed in the 1930s, and the right of way would later be used to build the Queensway.
Edwards is a dispersed rural community at the headwaters of Bear Brook in the Osgoode Ward of Ottawa,. According to the Canada 2011 Census, the surrounding blocks had a population of 346.
Edwards was named in 1901 after William Cameron Edwards (1844-1921). Edwards was a lumberman, MP for Russell 1887 -1903 and a senator. From 1898 to 1957 Edwards was a flag stop for the New York and Ottawa Railway.
Ficko is a dispersed rural community in Osgoode Ward in Ottawa. It is located in the former City of Gloucester, which was amalgamated into Ottawa in 2001. The community is located on Bowesville Road halfway between Armstrong Road and Rideau Road.
Findlay Creek is a suburban neighbourhood in Gloucester-South Nepean Ward in the south end of Ottawa. It is located just south of the intersection of Leitrim Road and Bank Street.
The Findlay Creek Community Association is the volunteer group representing the interests of the community.
According to the Canada 2011 Census, the population of the community was 4,486 and there were 1,459 dwellings of mixed types (single-dwelling and semi-detached houses, townhouses and condominiums).
Gloucester Glen is a community on the Rideau River in eastern Ontario. It is located in the former City of Gloucester in the City of Ottawa. It is between the communities of Cedardale to the north and Honey Gables to the south, and bound by the Rideau River to the west and River Road to the east, adjacent to the new Riverside South subdivision. It is a very quiet community with many older homes. There are approximately only 45 houses that make up this community.
Kempark (sometimes spelled Kemp Park) is a community in Gloucester-Southgate Ward in the south end of Ottawa. Prior to amalgamation in 2001, it located in City of Gloucester. The community is located at the south end of Conroy Road when it meets with Bank Street. It is located right next to the village of Leitrim, Ontario. It is about 12 km south of Downtown Ottawa. The community is home to approximately 200 people.
Leitrim is a dispersed rural community in the South Gloucester section of Ottawa, and is named for the Irish County Leitrim. The area comprises the rapidly growing Findlay Creek suburban neighbourhood.
The area is bounded by Leitrim Road to the north and Rideau Road to the south, generally between Bank Street on the east and Albion Road to the west. The community design plan outlines the development for the area in the coming years. Findlay Creek Village is currently the only area under development within this region. Southbrooke is another community planned within the area.
Located nearby are the Leitrim Wetlands, the Rideau Carleton Raceway, a storm water system and military intelligence gathering station CFS Leitrim.
In September 2005, OC Transpo bus route 144 was extended from Blossom Park to serve the area. A planned extension of the O-Train North-South LRT corridor) to Leitrim Station was cancelled in 2006, but is now planned for 2018-2023.
Orleans (officially Orléans), is a suburb of Ottawa. It is located in the eastern part of the city along the Ottawa River, about 16 km (9.9 mi) from downtown Ottawa. The Canada 2011 Census determined that Orleans’ population was 107,823. Prior to being amalgamated into Ottawa in 2001, the community of Orleans was spread over two municipal jurisdictions, the eastern portion being in the pre-amalgamation City of Cumberland, the western portion in the City of Gloucester. According to the 2011 census, 62,888 people lived in the Cumberland portion of Orleans, while 44,935 people lived in the Gloucester portion. Today, Orleans spans the municipal wards of Orleans, Innes and Cumberland. Orleans is one of the post-amalgamated City of Ottawa to contain a significant francophone population, hence the community’s name.
The community is thought to have been named by its first postmaster, Théodore Besserer, after his place of birth, the Île d’Orléans near Quebec City. Orleans was an incorporated police village from 1922 to 1974 and was then known as St. Joseph d’Orléans. The name corresponds to the main francophone Roman Catholic Church, Paroisse St-Joseph of which the older part of Orleans is built around, along St-Joseph Boulevard.
The community’s name inspired the name of one its main roads, Jeanne D’Arc Boulevard, which wraps its way around the community. Jeanne d’Arc (Joan of Arc) was a 15th-century martyr who led the French army to victory in Orléans, France.
Largely a rural area for a great number of years, the first major suburban subdivision constructed in the community was the Queenswood Heights development starting in the late 1960s. Orleans has continued its steady growth as a suburban community since that time; its southern and easternmost boundaries continue to grow as more houses and businesses are built. Orleans continues to have a sizable French speaking population, although the proportion of francophones has been decreasing in recent years. The community’s name is spelled with an acute accent in French in the relevant regulation to the City of Ottawa Act, reflective of the area’s francophone heritage.
Growth has focused around the Place d’Orléans shopping centre, a large shopping centre with over 175 stores situated off Ottawa Regional Road 174 (the Queensway). Place D’Orléans was originally constructed in 1979 and underwent major expansions in 1984, 1988, and 1990 to arrive at its current size and configuration. Many new business areas along Innes Road between Tenth Line Road and Mer Bleue Road and in the vicinity of Trim Road on the eastern end of the area have also been built recently which serve to diversify the commercial districts of the community. The country-wide housing boom starting from 2000 has also seen an extremely large amount of housing and residential areas being developed in the eastern Orleans area west of Trim Road and south of Innes Road, such as the new community called Avalon. The population and business growth also forced the improvement of Innes Road from a two-lane to a four-lane road in 2005.
The Elizabeth Manley skating rink at the Bob MacQuarrie Recreation Complex (formerly Orleans Recreation Complex) is named for figure skater Elizabeth Manley who trained there and who won a Silver Medal in Women’s figure skating in the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics. It is home to the Gloucester Skating Club and the Canadian Academy of Skating Arts. The skating club is well known for sending skaters to national and international level competitions.
The Ray Friel Recreational Complex in the more eastern part of Orleans is home to a public library, a high school (Sir Wilfrid Laurier Secondary School), an indoor wave pool, exercising facilities, a physiotherapy clinic, a sports store, a restaurant, two soccer fields and three skating arenas making it one of the main centres for recreation in Orleans. In 2009, the Shenkman Arts Centre opened just east of Place d’Orléans. It is a multidisciplinary arts centre that houses a concert hall, black-box theatre, several art galleries and studio spaces for both visual and performing arts.
Along the Ottawa River in the north-east of Orleans, is the parkland of Petrie Island. The parkland is located on several small islands connected by Trim Road, a north-south roadway. The islands are sandbars developed over time in the river. There was a facility extracting sand from the islands, but this has been closed and converted into a large beach area. Petrie Island is home to turtles in some of its sheltered lagoons and has a nature centre for learning more about the local environment. One section of Petrie Island has several homes, but the area is mainly parkland. There is a marina with canoe and kayak rentals.
There are also several nature trails and paths throughout the area including the Bilberry Creek Trail and the Princess Louise Trail through which Taylor Creek runs and which results in a beautiful waterfall near St-Joseph Boulevard.
A memorial diorama by Bruce Garner was erected August 13, 2000 in the Memorial Park near Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 632 to remember those who have served Canada in wars and as Peace Keepers.
- Avalon: Located south of Innes Road, west of Portobello Boulevard and east of Tenth Line Road.
- Bilberry Creek: Located east of Jeanne d’Arc Boulevard, north of Highway 174 and east towards the eastern end of the development.
- Cardinal Creek: Located north of Innes Road, west of Cardinal Creek and St-Joseph Blvd. Western boundary overlaps with Fallingbrook.
- Chapel Hill North: Located north of Innes Road in the Orléans Boulevard area and south of St-Joseph Boulevard.
- Chapel Hill South: Located south of Innes Road, and north of Navan Road.
- Chaperal: Located south of Innes Rd and north of Blackburn Hamlet Bypass, on Tenth Line Road.
- Chateau Neuf: Is bounded by St-Joseph Boulevard on the north, Innes Road on the south. The eastern border includes Jeanne d’Arc-Sunview-Des Grives-Barsona-Place Belleterre-Duford Drive, and Orléans Boulevard borders the west.
- Chatelaine Village: Located north of Highway 174 toward the Ottawa River and East of Willow Ave.
- Convent Glen: Located north of Highway 174 toward the Ottawa River and west of Jeanne d’Arc Boulevard.
- Convent Glen South: Located south of Highway 174 and north of St. Joseph Blvd and generally west of Orléans Blvd.
- Eastridge : Future community situated near Trim Road and Blackburn By-Pass Road south of Notting Gate community.
- Fallingbrook: Located south of St-Joseph Boulevard, west of Trim Road, north of Innes Road and east of Tenth Line Road.
- Hiawatha Park: Older neighbourhood on the Ottawa River, north of Convent Glen.
- Mer Bleue (future): This proposed neighbourhood would be located south of Innes Road between Mer Bleue and Tenth Line Road and south towards the Urban limit.
- Notre Dame Des Champs: Near Mer Bleue and Navan Road. Houses are built on bigger lots.
- Notting Gate: Located south of Innes Road, east of Portobello Boulevard, and west of Trim Road.
- Orleans Village: Oldest part of Orleans, located along St-Joseph Blvd between Orléans Blvd and Duford Dr.
- Orleans Wood: Located north of Highway 174 toward the Ottawa River, east of Jeanne d’Arc Boulevard and west of Champlain Street.
- Queenswood Heights: Located south of St-Joseph Boulevard, west of Tenth Line Road, east of Duford Road.
- Queenswood Village: Older neighbourhood between Champlain St and Willow Ave, north of Highway 174.
- River Walk: East of Tenth Line, north of Highway 174.
Schools and education
St. Matthew High School
St. Peter Catholic High School
Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha Catholic School
Chapel Hill Catholic School
Convent Glen Catholic School
Divine Infant Catholic School
Our Lady of Wisdom Catholic School
St. Clare Catholic School
St. Francis of Assisi Catholic School
St. Teresa Catholic School
Good Shepherd Catholic School
École secondaire catholique Béatrice-Desloges
École secondaire catholique Garneau
École secondaire catholique Marteau
École élémentaire catholique Arc-en-ciel
École élémentaire catholique de la Découverte
École élémentaire catholique Alain-Fortin
École élémentaire catholique des Pionniers
École élémentaire catholique des Voyageurs
École élémentaire catholique L’Étoile-de-l’Est
École élémentaire catholique Notre Dame des Champs
École élémentaire catholique Reine-des-Bois
École élémentaire catholique Saint-Joseph d’Orléans
École élémentaire catholique Sainte-Marie
École élémentaire catholique d’enseignement personnalisé La Source
École Secondaire Publique Gisèle-Lalonde
École élémentaire Des Sentiers
École élémentaire Jeanne-Sauvé
École élémentaire L’Odysée
École élémentaire Le Prélude
Cairine Wilson Secondary School
Sir Wilfrid Laurier Secondary School
Avalon Elementary School
Convent Glen Elementary School
Dunning-Foubert Elementary School
Fallingbrook Community Elementary School
Forest Valley Elementary School
Henry Larsen Elementary School
Maple Ridge Elementary School
Orleans Wood Elementary School
Terry-Fox Public Elementary School Trillium Public Elementary School
Queenswood Public School closed in 2008(now Coccinelle (Garderie) École La Source)
Main roads and streets
- Orléans Blvd.
- Champlain St.
- Jeanne d’Arc Blvd.
- Des Épinettes Ave.
- St-Joseph Boulevard
- Charlemagne Blvd.
- Innes Road
- Tenth Line Road
- Trim Road
The main highway linking Orleans to central Ottawa to the west is officially known as Ottawa Regional Road 174 and forms part of the Queensway.
- Trim Road
- Tenth Line Road
- Jeanne d’Arc
- Place d’Orleans Dr.
Pineview (also spelled Pine View) is a neighbourhood in the east end of Ottawa, located in Beacon Hill-Cyrville Ward. Prior to amalgamation in 2011, the neighbourhood was part of the City of Gloucester. As of the Canada 2011 Census, the neighbourhood had a population of 6,163
It is bounded by the Queensway on the north, Highway 417 to the west, the Greenbelt on the east and Innes Road to the south. Its adjacent neighbourhoods are Beacon Hill, Blackburn Hamlet and Cyrville.
Notable locations in Pineview include:
- The Telesat building
- The former City of Gloucester City Hall
- John Paul II Catholic School
- Ecole des Pins
- Pineview Golf Course
The neighbourhood is also located across a large commercial area consisting of big box and large department stores such as The Brick, Mark’s Warehouse, Petsmart, United Furniture Warehouse, Costco and Home Depot located on Innes Road between Blair Road and Highway 417.
Ramsayville is a rural community on Ramsay Creek in Gloucester-Southgate Ward in Ottawa. Prior to 2001, the community was located within the City of Gloucester. The immediate area around Ramsayville (North by the eastern prolongation of Hunt Club Road and Highway 417, west by Hawthorne Road, south by Leitrim Road and east by Anderson Road) has a population of about 90 (2011 Census)
The community was also a site used for High Frequency Direction Finding experiments by the Royal Canadian Navy. The Navy installation was located on Base Line Road about five miles from Gloucester near the intersection of the Leitrim Road. It was not that far away from CFS Leitrim. Ramsayville was not a Naval Radio Station but whatever experiments were conducted here were probably classified during the station’s heyday.
Ramsayville was the site of an aircraft crash in 1950 that claimed the life of Laurence Steinhardt, then US Ambassador to Canada.
The main roads servicing the area are Ramsayville Road and Ontario Highway 417.
Riverside South is a suburban community in Gloucester-South Nepean Ward in the south end of the city of Ottawa, just southwest of Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport. Prior to amalgamation in 2001, the area was located in the city of Gloucester. Its population according to the Canada 2011 Census was 10,908.
In the early 1990s this area was mostly vacant with a few houses and some farms. The first homes in the community were built in 1996. Since then, there has been extensive housing development that seems to be growing in the pace of other major suburban communities in the region, such as Barrhaven, Kanata and Orléans.
Currently, most of the built up area of the community is limited to areas around River Road and Earl Armstrong Road, and just west of Limebank Road. It is planned that Riverside South will become a major community with south expansions closer to Manotick and to the east closer to Leitrim. According to the Riverside South Community Association, the boundaries will eventually be “Lietrim Road to the north, the Rideau River to the west, a line half-way between Earl Armstrong and Rideau Road to the south and Bowesville Road to the east. It is expected that the community will have a population of over 50,000 by 2031.
The Riverside South community also includes the much older community of Honey Gables, which includes three streets on the west side of River Road. This community was first built c. 1950, and has been under pressure by the surrounding developments.
The future North-South Light-rail line was expected to serve the community by 2009 until its cancellation on December 14, 2006. Though, most rural routes are being upgraded and widened to cope with increasing traffic. One notable problem area was Limebank Road where major slowdowns occurred in the morning rush heading towards the more urban areas of the city. The Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge linking the community to Barrhaven was completed in 2014, even without the light-rail extension. Likely, it will become a major suburban community with population that may reach (the total of the two areas) 100,000 residents.
It is home to the only Ottawa area school with a balanced calendar. Students at L’école élémentaire catholique Bernard-Grandmaître will experience a summer vacation which is shortened by three weeks. Those three weeks will then be re-distributed throughout the school year giving the students and teachers a one-week Thanksgiving vacation, an additional week during the week of the Victoria Day holiday, and an additional week during March break. The balanced calendar is theoried to be very beneficial to students and teachers as they have more opportunities to unwind. The pilot project ended in 2010, and the school is running permanently on the balanced calendar. The results of the pilot project will help determine if other Ottawa schools will also apply that sort of calendar.
- St. Jerome Catholic School
- Steve MacLean Public School
- Jeanne d’Arc
- Place d’Orléans Dr.
- Posted Rates
- Our Rates