Neighbourhoods located in Nepean:
- Arbeatha Park
- Arlington Woods
- Bell’s Corners
- Borden Farm
- Carleton Heights
- Cedarhill Estates
- City View
- Country Place
- Craig Henry
- Crystal Bay
- Crystal Beach
- Davidson Heights
- Fisher Glen
- Fisher Heights
- Graham Park
- Grenfell Glen
- Hearts Desire
- Leslie Park
- Lynwood Village
- The Meadows
- Merivale Gardens
- Orchard Estates
- Parkwood Hills
- Pheasant Run
- Rideau Glen
- Rocky Point
- Ryan Farm
- Shirleys Bay
- Trend Village
- Twin Elm
- Valley Stream
- Westcliffe Estates
Nepean is a part of Ottawa, located west of Ottawa’s inner core. It was formerly a city in its own right until amalgamated with the Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton in 2001 to become the new city of Ottawa. However, the name “Nepean” continues in common usage in reference to the area. The population of Nepean is about 180,000 people.
Although the neighbouring municipality of Kanata formed the entrepreneurial and high tech center of the region, Nepean hosted noted industries such as Nortel Networks, JDS Uniphase and Gandalf Technologies. As with the rest of the National Capital Region, however, Nepean’s economy was also heavily dependent on federal government employment. Most of Nepean’s employed residents commute to downtown Ottawa or Kanata for work.
Nepean’s policies of operational and capital budgeting prudence contrasted with the budget philosophies of some other municipalities in the area. Nepean instituted a strict ‘pay-as-you-go’ budgeting scheme. The city entered amalgamation with a large surplus and a record of tax restraint. However, most big-ticket municipal infrastructure items (transit, garbage collection, sanitary sewers, water, arterial roads, social services) were the responsibility of the Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton. The former City of Nepean maintained its own library system from 1954 to amalgamation, its own police force from 1964 until it was regionalized in the 1990s; its own fire service and its own recreation programs. Hydro services were the responsibility of the Hydro-Electric Commission of the City of Nepean (commonly referred to as Nepean Hydro). Education in the City of Nepean was provided by the Carleton Board of Education (later amalgamated with the Ottawa Board of Education to form the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board).
Prior to amalgamation, Nepean’s City Council spent many tax dollars aggressively campaigning against what they (and their allies) referred to as the “megacity” model. The central plank of the strategy was to promote a tri-city model, which would have seen the ten municipalities of the Ottawa region reduced to three: one in the west (comprising Nepean, Kanata and the western rural municipalities), one in the east (comprising Gloucester, Cumberland and the eastern rural municipalities) and one in the centre (comprising Ottawa, Vanier and Rockcliffe Park). These efforts were in vain, as the one-city model eventually prevailed. (The one-city model was recommended by Glen Shortliffe, who was appointed by the Government of Ontario to study the issue of municipal reform in Ottawa-Carleton.)
Nepean Township, originally known as Township D, was established in 1792 and originally included what is now the central area of Ottawa west of the Rideau River. Jehiel Collins, from Vermont, is believed to have been the first person to settle in Nepean Township, on the future site of Bytown. Nepean was incorporated as a city on November 24, 1978. The geographic boundaries of Nepean changed considerably over this time; the original town hall of the township of Nepean was located in Westboro, which was annexed in 1950 by the city of Ottawa. Nepean’s centre then moved to the community of Bells Corners. In the 1950 and 1960s, Nepean’s urban area began to expand in previous rural areas in such areas as the community of Centrepointe in the east, and the community of Barrhaven in the south.
Prior to its amalgamation with 10 other municipalities into the new city of Ottawa in 2001, the population of Nepean was 124,878. The 2006 census population was 138,596.
Nepean was named after Sir Evan Nepean, British Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department from 1782 to 1791.
A Nepean quarry provided the sandstone blocks that were the principal building material used in the Parliament Buildings in downtown Ottawa.
Public schools in Nepean are administered by the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board. Catholic schools, or “separate schools”, are administered by the Ottawa-Carleton Catholic School Board. The secular Anglophone board’s headquarters and the Catholic board’s headquarters are located within Nepean itself.
Francophone education is provided by the Conseil des ecoles publiques de l’Est de l’Ontario (CÉPEO) and the Conseil des ecoles catholiques du Centre-Est (CECCE).
Arbeatha Park is a sub-neighbourhood of Lynwood Village, which is in turn a sub-neighbourhood of Bells Corners in the west end of Ottawa, Canada. Bounded to the west is Moodie Drive, north is Old Richmond Road, east is Lynwood Village and south is a forest owned by the city of Ottawa.
The neighbourhood is the second area to be developed in Bells Corners from 1955–1958. Later in the 1970s more townhouses were built on Old Richmond Road. It is home to Arbertha Park located on Arbertha Street. A mosque called Jamiatul Muslemeen is on Moodie Drive. It is also home to D.A. Moodie Public School, which is Bell Corners’ junior high school ranging from grades 6–8.
Trend-Arlington is a suburban neighbourhood in Knoxdale-Merivale Ward in the city of Ottawa. The neighbourhood is located with in the former City of Nepean in the west end of the city. It is located west of Greenbank Road, east of Highway 416 and Cedarview Road, north of West Hunt Club Road and south of the Leslie Park neighbourhood. Its main road is McClellan Road, which is renamed Banner Road at its north end. The community was developed by the Campeau Corporation between 1968 and 1980. According to the Canada 2011 Census, the neighbourhood had a total population of 4,818.
Estates of Arlington Woods
There are four sub-neighbourhoods in Trend-Arlington. Trend Village was the first area to be developed in 1964-1968; Sheehan Estates, the northern tip of the neighbourhood was completed in 1969-1973 and later in 1986; and the Estates of Arlington Woods was developed during 1984 and 1985. The Estates of Arlington Woods is east of Greenbank and west of Knoxdale Road.
The neighbourhood is known for recreation. It is home to five parks, bike paths, a shopping plaza, and Bruce Pit, an old quarry which is now a dog park and walking trails in a wooded area. The largest park in the neighbourhood is Trend-Arlington Park which has football and soccer fields, Trend-Arlington Tennis Club and a bike path. In 2007, Ben Franklin Soccer Dome was built. The dome has two giant soccer fields, a work out gym, and a meeting room. The dome also holds charity and community events. Sometimes the Ottawa Senators get their work out training there. There is also a small park located on Banner Road.
It is home to two churches; Arlington Free Methodist Church and a Coptic Orthodox Church church named St. Mary Coptic Orthodox Church on Greenbank. The community schools are Knoxdale Public School, Greenbank Middle School and Sir Robert Borden High School.
Barrhaven is a rapidly growing suburban neighbourhood in the southwest of the urban area of the city of Ottawa, about 17 km (11 mi) southwest of downtown Ottawa. Prior to amalgamation with Ottawa in 2001, Barrhaven was part of the City of Nepean. Its population as of the Canada 2011 Census was 72,324.
Barrhaven is approximately bounded to the north by the Greenbelt, to the east by the Rideau River, to the west by Highway 416, and to the south by the new Half Moon Bay development along Cambrian Road south of the Jock River. The area is diagonally bisected by CN rail tracks. Barrhaven is surrounded by rural areas and farmland, with the exception of the growing Riverside South area across the Rideau River. Directly south of Barrhaven is Manotick, a commuter town of the city.
Barrhaven is divided into several areas: Barrhaven proper or Old Barrhaven is the westernmost part of the neighbourhood, lying between Cedarview Road and Greenbank Road. New residential development is expanding the west side of Old Barrhaven between Cedarview and Strandherd Drive. Also included in this area is a triangle of land east of Greenbank between Fallowfield Road and the railway tracks known as Knollsbrook or The Triangle. South of this is the area known as Longfields, which stretches south to Strandherd and east to Woodroffe Avenue. Sandwiched between the railway tracks, Jockvale Road, Greenbank and Strandherd is the neighbourhood of Barrhaven on the Green. East of Woodroffe, next to the Rideau River, is the neighbourhood of Davidson Heights. South of Strandherd and east of Greenbank is a new community known as Chapman Mills. As Prince of Wales Drive approaches Jockvale, there is a thriving community known as Stonebridge that is located beside the Stonebridge Golf & Country Club.
The Barrhaven area was long inhabited by First Nations peoples, and the modern Jockvale Road follows an ancient path that was originally a trail through the wilderness. In the 19th century the area became populated by European farmers as the area was divided into a number of rural homesteads.
The old Barrhaven School House located at Jockvale and Strandherd was in built in 1906. Today, the school stands as a historic site. In 1911, the Canadian Northern Railway built a rail line from Ottawa to Toronto through the area. Fast passenger service was offered for many years from Fallowfield Station (near the intersection of Strandherd Dr and Cedarview Rd) to Ottawa and beyond After many years of absence, passenger rail service was reintroduced to the area by Via Rail in the fall of 2002 through a new Fallowfield Station located at the intersection of Fallowfield Road and Woodroffe Avenue.
Modern Barrhaven was established in the 1960s, one of a group of new suburbs built outside the Greenbelt from the main city of Ottawa. Building in the area was begun by Mel Barr, for whom the community is named. Barr had originally purchased a 200-acre (0.81 km2) farm with the intent of constructing a horse racing track. However the Rideau Carleton Raceway was built further to the east, and Barr instead decided to develop his land for housing. In 1968-69 Barrhaven Public School was built as the very first public school in Barrhaven.
Barrhaven subsequently grew rapidly into a community of several tens of thousands of people. Commercial centres were slower to arrive. In 1990 the area was served by a single grocery store, had no movie theatre, and not even a bar. This has changed with the opening in 1991 of the vast Barrhaven Town Centre complex of big box stores and smaller commercial establishments, as well as a few smaller shopping malls. The 1990s also saw the influx of high-tech companies into the area (such as JDS Uniphase and Nortel), and the growth of the Public Service in the National Capital Region. The area got its first high school in 1998 when Mother Teresa High School (Catholic) opened, followed by John McCrae Secondary School (public) in 1999. Barrhaven gained its third high school in 2002 when St. Joseph High School (Catholic) opened. In September 2009, Longfields-Davidson Heights Secondary School (Public) opened. The south- western Ottawa suburb still is in need of a gifted French public school, as students must be bused away to schools in other regions of the city, for the gifted French program.
Since Barrhaven has been built so quickly and so recently like most North American suburbs, it has a very uniform feel, considering how big it is. Almost every street consists of town houses with some streets having comparatively large suburban houses. In the older parts of Barrhaven, the streets are curvilinear, never forming a grid as they do in older parts of Ottawa.
Typical Barrhaven homes for sale price ranges are; for condos in the $200,000-250,000 range, townhomes start generally in the high $200,000s, while single homes offer a great variety and can be found from the mid-$300,000s price point. These homes tend to offer a lot of value, upgrades and good sized lots compared to similar properties closer to the downtown core.
For more information on what a specific type of property will cost you in this neighbourhood call Kelly Wilson 613-266-3570
Barrhaven is divided into many neighbourhoods. The names are generally selected by developers.
Barrhaven, also known as Old Barrhaven, west of Greenbank, south of Fallowfield, north of the rail tracks, and west of Jockvale
Strandherd Meadows, the infill development extending Old Barrhaven to Strandherd Drive
Longfields, east of Greenbank Road, west of Woodroffe Avenue, south of Fallowfield Road and north of Strandherd Drive
Davidson Heights, east of Woodroffe Avenue
Havenlea, bounded by Crestway Drive, Leikin Drive, Prince of Wales and Cresthaven Drive
Chapman Mills, bounded by Prince of Wales Dr to the south/east, Woodroffe Ave to the west, and Stoneway Dr to the north.
Rideau Glen, along Prince of Wales Dr, Holborn Avenue, and Rideau Glen Drive, north of Winding Way
Winding Way, east of Prince of Wales Drive
Stonebridge, located between Jockvale Rd and Prince of Wales
Half Moon Bay, new neighborhood under development along Cambrian Road, west of Greenbank, east of Highway 416, south of the Jock River and north of Barnsdale Road
Quinn’s Pointe, a new community under development along Cambrian Road, west of Greenbank, north of Barnsdale Road
Barrhaven Mews, new community under construction between Strandherd Road and the Jock River and west of Jockvale/Greenbank Roads
Barrhaven On The Green, located between Jockvale Road, Greenbank Road, Strandherd Road, and the Rail tracks
Havenlea, east of Woodroffe Avenue, south of Crestway Drive
Hearts Desire, located along the Jock River, in between Jockvale Road and Woodroffe Ave.
West Pointe Village, located between Cedarview Rd., Fallowfield Rd., Strandherd Rd., and the Rail tracks
Pheasant Run, west of Larkin Drive, south of Fallowfield, north of Jockvale and east of Cedarview Road
Fraservale, south and west of Jockvale, east of Cedarview and north of rail tracks
Knollsbrook, west and north of rail tracks, south of Fallowfield and east of Greenbank.
Havencourt, across from South Nepean Park, east of Greenbank between the transitway and Longfields Drive.
Havencrest, East of the intersection of Strandherd and Fallowfield and North of Jockvale Road.
Features and amenities
Barrhaven contains several public and Catholic schools and numerous parks and playgrounds, mainly built in since 2000. It is also home to the Walter Baker Sports Centre which contains a library and other facilities. The main commercial district surrounds the intersection of Strandherd Drive and Greenbank Road, with a seven-screen cinema, Loblaws, Wal-Mart, Indigo Books and Music, Staples, Winners, Homesense, Sobey’s, SportChek, Starbucks, Your Independent Grocer, Heart & Crown, and Best Buy, among others. The Minto Recreation Complex, a new multi-use community center at the corner of Cambrian and Greenbank, opened in 2014. A major employment district was established in 2015 in the area west of Strandherd Drive adjacent to Highway 416, known as the CitiGate corporate campus. A Costco store has opened in fall of 2016, including several other retail establishments. Barrhaven also has its own community blog.
Barrhaven is served by seven local bus routes: 170, 171, 173, 175, 176, 177 and 186. These routes serve the local streets of Barrhaven as well as serving several stations on the Transitway network where a transfer can be made to Ottawa’s Rapid Transit system with Route 95, 94 and 99. There are five express bus routes, 270, 271, 273, 272 (previously the 76), and 277, that provide direct service to downtown Ottawa during the morning rush hour and from downtown during the afternoon rush hour; travel time is approximately 30 minutes. Previously, routes 270, 271, 273, 272, and 277 were known as 70, 71, 73, 72, and 77, but were changed in 2017 thanks to the 2018 On Track LRT project. Route 186 runs from the Fallowfield Station to Manotick, stopping in the growing Stonebridge community before travelling on the lower half of Jockvale before connecting with Prince of Wales Drive. Intercity Via Rail connections can be made at Fallowfield railway station to Montreal and Toronto.
Until 2006, it had been planned that the north-south light-rail O-Train (today’s Trillium Line) would be extended to the centre of Barrhaven near Riocan Marketplace via Riverside South. The project was cancelled on December 14, 2006, by Ottawa City Council, which decided to focus on building rail-based rapid transit lines in the inner city instead. Rail-based rapid transit to Barrhaven is not expected to be introduced until after 2031, when the three lines in the inner city are expected to be completed.
On January 2, 2007, OC Transpo opened the Strandherd Transitway Station and Park & Ride lot in Barrhaven. Directly across from the Riocan/Barrhaven Sopping Centre’s Wal-Mart& TD Bank, the facility has parking space for about 330 cars. It was built to help with overcrowding at the Fallowfield Station and meet the increased demand for park and ride spaces in the community. Rapid transit route 95 takes approximately 10 minutes to travel between Fallowfield Station and Strandherd Station, and 2 minutes between Strandherd Station and Barrhaven Centre. The Province of Ontario funded one-third of the $5 million cost.
In April 2011, the transitway (BRT) network was expanded in Barrhaven. One feature was the extension of Route 94 to the intersection of Woodroffe and Strandherd. A new stretch of BRT was also constructed between Fallowfield and Strandherd to reduce travel times on Route 95. In September 2014, a new BRT route was established on Chapman Mills Drive, using a graveyard median from the canceled south-western lrt route. New route 99 starts at Barrhaven Centre and using new Beatrice Station proceeds to Greenboro Transitway and O-Train Terminus at non-peak hours, via Riverside South (Vimy Ridge Bridge) and Leitrim Station. At peak hours the 99, goes all the way to Lebreton via South-Eastern Transitway and Downtown. This route sees limited use at non-peak times with buses running near empty outside the morning and afternoon commute.
Adrienne Clarkson Elementary School
Barrhaven Public School (first school opened in Barrhaven in 1968)
Berrigan Elementary School
Chapman Mills Public School
Farley Mowat Public School
Half Moon Bay Public School (Opened September 2016.)
Jockvale Elementary School
Mary Honeywell Elementary School
Ecole Michaëlle Jean (French)
Cedarview Middle School
John McCrae Secondary School
Longfields-Davidson Heights Secondary School
L’école élémentaire catholique Jean-Robert Gauthier (French)
L’école élémentaire catholique Pierre Elliot Trudeau (French)
L’école élémentaire catholique Sainte-Kateri (French)
Monsignor Paul Baxter Catholic elementary school
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic elementary school (opened February 1987)
St. Cecilia Catholic Elementary School
St. Emily Catholic elementary school
St. Luke Catholic elementary school
St. Patrick Catholic elementary school (opened November 1978)
St. Andrew Catholic elementary school
Mother Teresa High School
St. Joseph High School
École Secondaire Catholique Pierre-Savard
Preschools (Child Care)
Educara Montessori Child Care
Little Scholars Montessori
Ottawa Christian School
Bayshore (also known as Accora Village) is a neighbourhood in Bay Ward in the west end of Ottawa. Prior to amalgamation in 2001, the neighbourhood was in the City of Nepean. It is bounded east by row houses off Bayshore Drive, to the north Carling Avenue, to the west Holly Acres Drive and the Lakeview neighbourhood, and to the south Highway 417. The main street in Bayshore is Woodridge Crescent, while the Bayshore Station is the major bus transit station.
According to the Canada 2011 Census, the population of the neighbourhood had a population of 5,710. The neighbourhood is characterized by rental communities. The homes are townhouses (row houses), garden homes and high-rise condominiums buildings.
Most of the population in the community features different ethnic groups. Most immigrants are from the Philippines (330), Iraq (315), and Afghanistan (205). The neighbourhood has a large Muslim population. The 2011 National Household Survey reported that 34% of the people in Bayshore’s Census Tract were Muslim.
The community was first built in 1963-1965. The developer was the Minto Group which is a significant developer of rental and non-rental communities in Ottawa. In the 1970s and 1980s more townhouses and high-rises were built. In the early 2000s, the community changed ownership to Ferguslea Properties Inc, which is owned by Dan Greenberg. In 2013, Ferguslea announced that they would manage Accora Village, and all staff became employees of Ferguslea.
The main attraction is the Bayshore Shopping Centre which was built in 1973 and had two floors extended in 1987. Bayshore underwent a $270 million renovation, that included a new parking garage, updates to the mall, and the addition of several stores such as H&M, Victoria’s Secret and Zara. Target was supposed to open a location in the mall, but plans were cancelled when Target pulled out of the country in 2015. This space is now occupied by Walmart.
In 2011, Ferguslea Properties Ltd, the owner of 2,465 units in the area, announced their plan to invest $40 million into the community. They also announced the community would be renamed Accora Village.
Accora Village is home to 2,465 units, with approximately 7,000 residents. The community features 10 high-rise apartment buildings, and a range of townhomes and garden homes. Accora Village also offers its residents a recreation centre, named the Accora Centre. The Accora Centre holds an indoor pool, a gymnasium, a weight room, a lounge, and party rooms. The community is undergoing renovations to revamp the buildings. Its first apartment building to undergo complete renovations is Cobalt, located at 90 Woodridge Crescent.
Accora Village was the 2013 recipient of the Crime-Free Multi-Housing Program’s Rental Owner of the Year award, for its commitment to ensuring safety and security in the community.
Within the bounds of the community there are two elementary schools. Bayshore Public School is an English Public elementary school providing Junior and Senior Kindergarten and grades 1-5. The school’s programs include a Regular English Program and an English as a Second Language program. Parent resources are available in Arabic, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Persian, Polish, Punjabi and Urdu.
St. Rose of Lima School (formerly Bayshore Catholic School) is a somewhat smaller English Catholic elementary school providing Junior and Senior Kindergarten and grades 1-6. The school’s programs include English, and French Immersion programs.
For recreation, there is the Bayshore Community Centre, with an indoor gym and an indoor swimming pool. Bayshore Park features a baseball diamond and a few soccer fields. There is a National Capital Commission (NCC) bike path that goes along the western border of the neighborhood. The bike path goes to Kanata in the west and central Ottawa to the east.
In late 2013, Ferguslea Properties, the Senators Foundation, and the City of Ottawa announced their commitment to build the next rink of dreams, to be located in the middle of Accora Village, in Bayshore Park.
There is a movie theater owned by Cineplex Entertainment called “Cineplex Cinemas”, previously called “the Coliseum” on Carling Avenue just outside the neighborhood. In that location there was once a drive-in movie theater and a 6-plex movie theatre called Britannia 6. In 1998 they were both demolished to make way for the Coliseum.
Bells Corners is a suburban community in College Ward in the city of Ottawa. It is located in the former city of Nepean within Ottawa’s western Greenbelt. As of the Canada 2011 Census, the community had a population of 9,468.
The community owes its existence to its location on the Richmond Road midway between Richmond Landing near Bytown (now Ottawa) and the military settlement at Richmond, at the junction with the concession road leading west to the Hazeldean neighbourhood in neighbouring Goulbourn Township. It was also the junction between Richmond Road and the “base line” which was the boundary road between concessions on the Ottawa front and those on the Rideau front. Hence, the plural “Corners”. It was named after Hugh Bell, who owned a tavern on the site of the present day Bells Corners Public School from 1834 to 1863.
Prior to that it was known locally as just “the Corners”, but when the first post office opened on 6 August 1851 it had to adopt a formal name and became Bell’s Corners. Today it is most commonly spelled without the apostrophe.
In 1832, there were 9 taverns along this strip of road. Early stores catered to both local people and travelers.
In 1841 the Carleton County Agricultural Society was formed and held its annual exhibition in Bells Corners until 1895, when it was moved to Goodwood Park in the Town of Richmond and later became the Richmond Fair.
In 1850, Bells Corners became part of Nepean Township, Carleton County. The Town meeting to elect the first Council under the new system was held at Bells Corners on 7 January 1850. Frederick Bearman, J.P., Chester Chapman, James Spain, John Robertson, J.P., Michael Grady were elected as Councillors. The first Council meeting was also held in Bells Corners on 21 January 1850, when Colonel Frederick Bearman was chosen Reeve. By 1852, there were 3 taverns, 3 shoe shops, 2 blacksmiths, 2 carpentry shops, a new store, and a tailor.
By 1866/7 Bells Corners was a post village with a population of 150 in the township of Nepean, county of Carleton, on the Ottawa and Nepean Macadamized road, 10 miles from Ottawa. The village had a daily mail, two stores, a school and a church which was used by the Church of England, Presbyterians, and Wesleyan Methodists. The early citizens included: Adam Abbott, a general merchant; Hugh I Bell, a farmer; George Arnold, a postmaster; E. Brown, a bailiff 7th Division Court; and William Brownlee, a general merchant boot & shoemaker.
In 1866, the 43rd Battalion of Infantry (otherwise known as the Carleton Blazers) was formed in Bells Corners with companies in many of the surrounding communities and absorbed Ottawa’s volunteer rifle company.
By 1869, Bell’s Corners was on the stage line from Town Ottawa to Perth. Most of Bells Corners was destroyed by fire in August 1870.
The oldest buildings in Bells Corners are the East India Company restaurant and conference centre, formerly Hartin’s Hotel, built after the fire in 1870 on the site of Robert Malcomson’s Tavern (David Hartin was married to Robert Malcomson’s daughter Sarah); and, The Spa which occupies the old Drummond Methodist Church built in 1898. This church used stone from the old Union Church (now the site of the Bells Corners Union Cemetery on Old Richmond Road) built in 1853 and the only building in Bells Corners to survive the fire of 1870.
On the north side of Robertson Road between Bells Corners and Hazeldean was the first of several Nepean sandstone quarries from which rock was taken for the exterior of the Parliament buildings, Confederation Building, Connaught Building and what is now the Canadian Museum of Nature. It can be seen also in many smaller buildings throughout the city. Dick Williams, a Welshman who came to Canada in 1902, opened a small quarry in the Nepean formation on the farm of his father-in-law on lot 3, concession II, Ottawa front. The two began making paving stones in 1912 and in 1916 they were joined by a young Scot, Archie Campbell, a recently apprenticed quarryman. The quarry eventually became known as Campbell’s Quarry. Contracts were signed with seven different quarries, but the bulk of the stone for the Centre Block and the Peace Tower came from Campbell’s Quarry. According to Campbell “Our first order came from Peter Lyall Construction Company for 1,000 tons of sandstone all for the Parliament Buildings. When we got the parliament job there were several hundred men on the job and they just gobbled up the stone. We couldn’t get the stone out fast enough … Stone was hauled up to the building site by teams of horses, struggling along poor roads with six ton loads. Each team could make but one trip a day.” The quarry continued operation under various owners until September 1962, when the National Capital Commission expropriated the land for part of Ottawa’s Greenbelt. Natural Resources Canada offices, laboratories and experimental sites now occupy the quarry and surrounding property. The workings of the quarry are reported to still be intact as they were when surveyed by Alice Wilson in the mid 1950s however the area is not open to the general public.
In 1950, Ottawa annexed the main urban areas of Nepean Township including Westboro, where the town offices were located. A new town hall was then built in Bells Corners at the intersection of Richmond Road (now Old Richmond Road) and Robertson Road where Arnold’s General Store had been, which was used from 1966 to the late 1980s, when a new Nepean city hall was built at Centrepointe. The City of Nepean was finally amalgamated with 10 other municipalities into the City of Ottawa in 2001.
Once a rural community with many dairy farms, Bells Corners is now a residential, commercial and industrial island surrounded by greenbelt, woods and farmland. For a time Bells Corners was a hi-tech area and home to such Canadian technology icons as Computing Devices Canada, the Ottawa-based defence electronics company (bought by General Dynamics), which blazed the trail for later defence technology firms in what would become known as Silicon Valley North in neighbouring Kanata.
Many of the houses in Bells Corners are in a neighbourhood called Lynwood Village (Bells Corners East), built in the late fifties and early sixties. It is one of the first examples of tract housing in Ottawa. The first area to be developed was Stinson Avenue in 1950. This was followed by Arbeatha Park in 1955-58, and then Lynwood Village proper in 1958-66. In the fifties Nepean had acknowledged the rights of property owners to subdivide their land for housing but usually individual lots were sold to small builders. In Lynwood Village, land speculators Lloyd Francis and Donald Sim had assembled a vast tract of land. In 1958, they brought in Bill Teron to build the entire subdivision. By 1960, four hundred families lived in Teron’s bungalows; another four hundred homes were built in 1961. Many more were built in 1962, 1963, 1964, and 1965. The last area of Lynwood to be developed was the area bounded by Richmond, Robertson, and Moodie Drive in 1966. Today there are over 1700 homes in the Lynwood area.
The magnitude of the shift to tract housing is demonstrated by the fact that most of the subdivisions built in Ottawa during the rest of the sixties were the work of three large firms (Minto, Campeau, Assaly and Johannsen).
To the west of Lynwood Village is Westcliffe Estates (Bells Corners West), founded in 1969, it is a growing community of over 2000 homes. Assaly Construction and later the Thomas C. Assaly Corporation built most of the older (1969–76) homes in this area. The Westcliffe community is characterized by significantly higher residential densities than other parts of Bells Corners. There is a multi-storey housing complex operated by Nepean Housing as well as a multi-storey senior’s residence and a co-operative housing project. The Terrace Drive/Mill Hill area of Westcliffe Estates was developed in 1986.
Bells Corners has a reputation as a retirement community, hosting three retirement homes in Lynwood Village and another in Westcliffe Estates.
Bells Corners is also the home of Bellwoods Estates (formerly the Bellwood Mobile Home Park), consisting of 256 homes. The park was established in 1959 By Ken Hughes. It is now owned and operated by Parkbridge Lifestyle Communities.
Bells Corners has a tennis club, the Lynwood Park Tennis Club, which manages the courts for the City of Ottawa. The Valleystream Tennis Club is located nearby on Richmond Road. Bell Centennial Arena and two seasonal outdoor rinks provide facilities for skating and ice hockey. The arena is also used for lacrosse in the summer. There is an outdoor public swimming pool at Entrance Park in Lynwood and numerous soccer, football, baseball, softball and play areas in the nine public parks in the community.
- Arnold Park
- Entrance Park
- George Wilson Park
- Lynwood Park
- Priam Way Park
- Quinpool Park
- Trevor Park
- Westcliffe Park
- Williams Park
The City of Ottawa partners with not-for-profit community associations to provide a variety of programs and services in recreation, arts and culture, and sports. Three such associations have been formed within Bells Corners – the Westcliffe Estates Community Association, the Lynwood Village Community Association, and the Arbeatha Park Community Association. In Bellwood Estates there is a homeowners association that represents the interests of tenants of the mobile home park.
Although many bicycle paths exist to the east, west, and north of the community, they do not connect to each other and cycling on the major thoroughfares (Robertson and Moodie) through the community can be particularly hazardous. Pedestrians do not fare much better, as most of the community has no sidewalks.
Effective 4 September 2011, public transit service to Bells Corners was modified as OC Transpo re-organised many suburban routes. In these changes, Bells Corners made significant gains in accessibility to the centre of Ottawa, as the Transitway bus route 97 was extended from Bayshore to Bells Corners, providing half-hourly service directly from Bells Corners to downtown and South Keys Monday to Saturday, and hourly service Sunday. Route 118, the primary route in the community (every 15 minutes most of the day) which connects Bells Corners with Kanata, Algonquin College and Billings Bridge, also increases in frequency, particularly in rush hour. The rush hour connexion routes 252 and 256 that connect Bells Corners to downtown Ottawa saw slight reductions in service.
In the summer of 2011 an experimental bicycle taxi service was introduced within the community.
Starting in 2013, modifications are being made to the Robertson Road and Moodie Drive intersection to increase capacity for through traffic. A study is also being undertaken to consider widening West Hunt Club and Old Richmond Road immediately to the south of the community.
There are five schools in Bells Corners – a public and a Catholic elementary school, a public intermediate school, and a public and a French Catholic high school. Most students, unless they live quite close, take a bus to get to school.
Ottawa-Carleton District School Board
Bells Corners Public School
D. Aubrey Moodie Intermediate School
Bell High School
Ottawa Catholic School Board
Our Lady of Peace Elementary School
Conseil des ecoles catholiques du Centre-Est
College catholique Franco-Ouest
There are seven churches and a mosque in Bells Corners.
Bell’s Corners United Church
Christ Church Anglican Bells Corners
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
The Church of Pentecost Canada
Emmanuel Alliance Church Of Ottawa
Jamiatul Muslemeen (Jami Omar) Mosque
St Martin de Porres Catholic Church
The Church of Hope
Bells Corners is probably best known for the commercial strip along Richmond and Robertson Roads, which is dominated by car-oriented retail uses, gas stations, restaurants, strip malls, shopping plazas, and automobile dealers. In 2009, the City of Ottawa designated the strip a Business Improvement Area under the Ontario Municipal Act. Because of the residential development in neighbouring Kanata to the west, the strip is now a major thoroughfare for residents travelling to and from work within the city centre to the east. The amount of daily traffic, particularly during rush hour, can cause serious traffic congestion in Bells Corners. To the north of these roads lie the majority of commercial and industrial businesses, with most residential real estate located to the south. It is now proposed to build high-rise condominiums on this strip. There was some considerable controversy over renaming Richmond and Robertson Roads. In the end it was decided to keep the Robertson name for both. The change took effect in 2012.
Bells Corners is an island, surrounded by Greenbelt and farmland. The area of the Greenbelt around Bells Corners is known as the Stony Swamp Conservation Area. It is the largest forested area of the Greenbelt and has a great diversity of trails with interpretive exhibits on the geology and natural history of the area. Those, combined with the many trails that lead from Bells Corners through other natural areas, such as the Trans Canada Trail and the Rideau Trail, provide it with a wide diversity of urban wildlife.
In 2010, Bells Corners was the location for the feature-length film “Going Thru a Thing” produced and directed by former Bells Corners resident Jo Marr. Bells Corners is the home of musician Tyler Kealey. New York-based jazzman and saxophonist Michael Webster is also a former resident of Bells Corners. Former NHL hockey star and general manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning is a former resident of Bells Corners where he attended Bell High School.
Author Marion Voytinsky (Face Your Fears, CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 30 June 2013) is a resident of Bells Corners. The cover of her book features the Bel Air Motel. Iain Reid’s novel The Truth About Luck: What I Learned on My Road Trip with Grandma (House of Anansi, 20 February 2013) also references a Bells Corners motel. In the fall of 1956, the first meeting of Radio Control Model Club, later to become the Ottawa Remote Control Club, was held at the Monarch Motel in Bells Corners. Recently the remains of two other area motels were rediscovered in the Greenbelt just to the west of Bells Corners.
Borden Farm is a neighbourhood in Nepean, built on the site of the former Borden Dairy Farm. The Borden farm community was built in 1967–1976 and features single-family homes with parks and bikeways placed behind the houses, instead of on the streets. There was more development in the 1980s and early 1990s.
The boundaries of the neighbourhood are Merivale Road to the west, to the north Parkwood Hills, to the south Viewmount, and to the east Fisher Glen.
One of the housing developments found alongside the Borden Farm neighbourhood is Fisher Glen, built in the early 1980s. Other housing developments are Stewart Farm, Parkwood Hills and Carleton Heights.
It is home to four parks, shopping strips on Merivale, a small shopping strip on Viewmount Drive, and three schools Omer-Deslauriers High School (formerly J.S. Woodsworth High School), Century Public School and Merivale High School. JS Woodsworth High School operated from 1973 until its closure in 2005. Merivale Mall is a short walking distance from the neighbourhood.
Briargreen is a suburban neighbourhood located in College Ward in the west end of Ottawa. Prior to amalgamation in 2001 it was located in the City of Nepean. The borders of the neighbourhood are Baseline Road to the north, Centrepointe to the east, Craig Henry to the south, and Greenbank Road to the west. The community was built in the late 1960s to early 1970s same time as the nearby neighbourhoods of Leslie Park and Arlington Woods. The main road in the community is Ashgrove Crescent.
The neighbourhood is surrounded by banks and trees as it was originally a forest. Briargreen Public School is situated in the heart of the community and a park to the west of the school. Pinecrest Cemetery is nearby.
In the north part of the neighbourhood is Rockway Crescent which features a community called Forest Ridge Apartments featuring a high rise apartment building, two low rises and garden homes. As of the Canada 2011 Census the neighbourhood had a population of 2,043 and 829 private dwellings.
Carleton Heights is a neighbourhood located in Ottawa. It is bounded on the north by Meadowlands Dr, on the east by the Rideau River, on the south by the junction of Prince of Wales Drive and Fisher Avenue and on the Nepean side Fisher Glen and on the west by Fisher Avenue and the Nepean side Parkwood Hills. The neighbourhood is sometimes referred to as Hog’s Back after the nearby falls. The total population of the neighbourhood is 8,157 according to the Canada 2006 Census. The main street is Normandy Cr.
Carleton Heights homes were developed after World War II. Most of the homes were not built until 1950. More homes were built in the 1960s and 1970s. The ‘vet’ homes were built on half acre lots and the owners sold off half the lot on which new more expensive homes were built beginning in the ’60s. Most of the ‘vet’ homes are still there
Carleton Heights has a community centre which is adjacent to the Carleton Heights Curling Club and Carleton Heights Public School.
- Courtland Park
- Carleton Square
- Rideau View
- Prince of Wales on the Rideau
- Rideauview Terrace
Cedarhill Estates (also spelled Cedar Hill) is an neighbourhood located in Barrhaven Ward in the west end of Ottawa. Prior to amalgamation in 2001, it was located in Nepean. Together with Orchard Estates and the new Onassa Springs development, it’s located within the western part of the Ottawa Greenbelt. It is bordered by Fallowfield Road to the south, Cedarview Road to the east, and by Highway 416 to the north and west. It is located northwest of the growing Barrhaven suburb of the city. The neighbourhood surrounds the Cedarhill Golf Course.
It is a community comprising some 100 custom homes built on 1-acre (4,000 m2) lots. They are serviced by city water and streets, but there are no septic sewers. Each property has its own septic system. The properties are zoned country estate lots and the community does not have bus service, sidewalks, or other features of densely populated urban areas. The neighbourhood was established in 1979.
The Cedarhill Community Association is supported by its residents through voluntary fundraising. Typically, over 80 percent of the community contribute on an annual basis. Community funds are used mainly to grow flowers and plants in community flower beds and to keep the common areas trimmed and weed free.
Nearby schools include St. Patrick, Barrhaven Public, Cedarview, Knoxdale, Mary Honeywell and Greenbank. Nearby high schools are St. Joseph, Sir Robert Borden, John McRae and Mother Theresa.
Centrepointe is a neighbourhood in College Ward in the west end of the City of Ottawa. It is located in the former city of Nepean. It is a newer residential subdivision in the west/central part of Ottawa, developed from 1984 onwards, and is informally bounded by Baseline Road to the north, Woodroffe Avenue to the east, the CN railroad to the south, and the Briargreen subdivision to the west. The housing stock includes approximately 1,000 detached homes, with the remainder mostly townhomes (row houses) and terrace homes. According to the Canada 2011 Census, the neighbourhood had a total population of 7,523.
Previously farmland, it was purchased by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, which let the land lay fallow for many years. Most of the land was sold off to Ottawa’s largest housing developer Minto Corporation, which built and sold off a wide range of homes from townhouses to large upscale houses.
Its major attraction is Ben Franklin Place, named for the former mayor of Nepean, which houses the Centrepointe Branch of the Ottawa Public Library, the locally renowned Centrepointe Theatre, and the former Nepean City Hall (now housing satellite offices for the City of Ottawa).
The neighbourhood has a significant Jewish population. The 2011 National Household Survey indicated that 13% of the neighbourhood’s population was Jewish.
The Centrepointe Community Association was formed on February 4, 2006 to represent and advance the interests of neighbourhood residents. The Association is particularly active during periods when major developments or issues surface in the Community, such as new commercial or housing developments proposed by builders. A major issue confronting the Association is the City of Ottawa’s proposed development of the Centrepointe Town Centre concept, which could add up to two million square feet of high density residential and commercial space to the area. Residential construction in Centrepointe continues. In 2007, a former snowdump next to Centrepointe Park was converted into approximately 260 townhouses, terrace homes and low-rise apartments, which was completed in early 2011.
An Annual General Meeting at 7:00 PM on October 26, 2011 at Ben Franklin Place was held to discuss Richraft’s new proposed development at the corner of Centrepointe Drive and Constellation Crescent. This particular piece of land was previously slated for development but the project never went ahead and is now under consideration by the builder, City of Ottawa and Community again.
Currently, the easternmost portion of Centrepointe is undergoing major development. As of January 2012, construction had finished on three major projects: the City of Ottawa Archives at the corner of Tallwood Drive and Woodroffe Avenue, a new trades building for nearby Algonquin College, and expansion of Centrepointe Theatre at Ben Franklin Place. Baseline Station Portions of Constellation Boulevard were rerouted to accommodate the new buildings and as part of the City’s long-term public transportation plan.
Many school aged children attend Briargreen, Manordale, Knoxdale (French Immersion), Greenbank Middle School and then Sir Robert Borden High School.
City View (also known as St. Claire Gardens) is a neighbourhood in College Ward in the west end of the city of Ottawa. It is located within the former city of Nepean. Most of the homes were built in the 1930s-1940’s. By the 2000s some of the homes were demolished and built into new ones; and they still are today.
The area existed as a police village from 1954 to 1974. Despite being in a suburban part of the city, due to its older history, the neighbourhood is set up with a grid pattern of streets. The village limits followed Baseline Road on the north to Clyde Avenue, then around Kerry, Gilbey and Capilano Streets, Merivale Road on the east to Palsen St to Perry St to Meadowlands Drive on the south to Withrow St and Canter Blvd on the west to Rutherford St and Algonquin College. According to the Canada 2011 Census, the population of this area was approximately 3,321. The neighbourhood is right next to Algonquin College, and contains Elizabeth Wynwood High School. It contains a number of small parks; St. Nicholas Park, Starwood Park, City View Park and Doug Frobel Park. The neighbourhood also contains the Nepean Museum. The City View Curling Club is on the other side of Merivale on Capilano Drive.
Country Place is a residential neighbourhood near the geographical centre of Ottawa and part of the former city of Nepean. It is a mature residential subdivision with about 400 houses located just inside the Ottawa greenbelt near the Rideau River, and about 11 km from downtown Ottawa. It is bordered by the Black Rapids Creek and the greenbelt to the south, Prince of Wales Drive to the east, Merivale Road to the west, and the Pineglen community to the north. Amberwood Crescent meanders through the community, exiting onto Prince of Wales and Merivale. Tennyson Drive links Country Place to Pineglen.
Houses in Country Place were built mostly in the early 1970s and are similar in size and design. The only exceptions are houses on Campfield Ct. which was built in the 1980s on land that had originally been set aside for a possible school.
The community has an active community association that runs events several times a year, maintains an outdoor rink in the winter, and helps promote the interests of the residents. Country Place is within the Knoxdale-Merivale Ward of the City of Ottawa.
Overall, transit access to the community is limited due to its low densities. The community is served by OC Transpo route 157 which supplies morning and evening rush hour connections to Baseline Station. Route 176 runs down Merivale Road at the edge of the community, connecting the community to Barrhaven and central Ottawa. Route 199 also runs on Merivale Road and serves people arriving from the east in the morning, and heading to the RCMP headquarters in Barrhaven. Limited service is also available on a branch of Route 116 on the northern edge of the community and links the community to areas east of the Rideau River.
The community is a short drive to the Fallowfield railway station served by Via Rail. This can be reached also on foot or by bicycle using the Greenbelt Pathway.
Facilities and attractions
Country Place Park – Has a play structure, a soccer field, a basketball court and an ice rink in the winter.
Finger Parks – Several small, mostly forested park areas separate sections of the community. There are pathways through these parks, connecting to various courts, to Pineglen and to the pathway in the ravine.
Greenbelt Pathway – A gravel pathway for cycling and walking is under construction around Ottawa, and will border and be connected to Country Place when complete. The section across Merivale Rd is complete. The Country Place section will be an upgrade to an existing pathway that lies in the Black Rapids Creek ravine. This pathway meanders through wooded land and passes next to farm fields, connecting to the wider recreational pathway network in Ottawa.
Blacks Rapids locks on the Rideau Canal and Victory Hill – This public recreational area is a short walk from Country Place, across Prince of Wales Drive
There are no schools or churches within the boundaries of Country Place, although St. Monica’s Church is just across Merivale Road. The closest School is St. Monica’s School, which is within walking distance and is part of the Ottawa Catholic School Board. Other schools attended by children of Country Place include Meadowlands Public School, Sir Winston Churchill Public School, Merivale High School and St. Pius X High School.
On Merivale Road there is a small plaza containing several businesses.
The community is 1.5 km south of the Nepean South Business Park, which contains a major oil terminal, and numerous other industrial enterprises. It is 3 km south of the Nepean Crossroads retail area where there are many big box stores, including Costco, Canadian Tire and Rona. Additional large retail establishments lie further to the north.
There are no restaurants in the community currently. Within walking distance on Prince of Wales Drive there is a Tim Horton’s, and the Restaurant at the Ramada Hotel. There is also a nearby Chinese restaurant on Merivale Road named after the community, and many other restaurants lie to the north along Merivale Road.
The closest full-service grocery store is the Metro, located 4 km north along Merivale Road.
There are plans to widen Prince of Wales to four lanes by about 2020.
Craig Henry is a residential neighbourhood in Knoxdale-Merivale Ward in the west end of Ottawa. It is located in the former city of Nepean. It is a residential subdivision that was developed from 1971 onwards. The neighbourhood is bordered by Woodroffe Avenue to the east, Greenbank Road to the west, Knoxdale Road to the south and the CN railroad separating it from Centrepointe and Briargreen to the north. The land previously belonged to the Craig Henry farm, and was developed by Jack Aaron. There are many different forms of houses in Craig Henry, including town homes, semi-detached houses, single homes and apartments. It is served by OC Transpo route 172.
A large sign with the name Craig Henry is found at the Greenbank Road entrance to the neighbourhood in the median of Craig Henry Drive. According to the Canada 2011 Census the total population of the neighbourhood was 6,593. Craig Henry has a significant Jewish population. The 2011 National Household Survey indicated that 12% of the Census Tract’s population was Jewish.
The neighbourhood is covered by the Manordale-Woodvale Community Association, which had to expand its borders to cover Craig Henry, due to a lack of a community association in the neighbourhood.
There are a number of schools in the area, including Knoxdale Public School, Briargreen Public School, Greenbank Middle School, Abdulgadir School of Hope, St. John XXIII Elementary School, and Manordale Public School. Many high-school aged teenagers attend Sir Robert Borden High School.
Congregation Beit Tikvah of Ottawa (formerly Beth Shalom West), a synagogue is situated right in the heart of Craig Henry.
The Craig Henry Plaza is anchored by the Quickie convenience store, and houses a number of other stores and offices targeted at local residents.
Craig Henry Tennis Club
Craig Henry Park – Has a play structure, is linked by a bike path to Sir Robert Borden High School and by a walking/cycling underpass to Centrepointe, also home of the Craig Henry Tennis Club.
Charing Park – has a play structure, tobogganing hill, hockey rink / basketball court and water fountain.
Knoxdale road park – is a smaller park with a play structure and a new splash pad (Built in the summer of 2013).
Ben Franklin Soccer Dome- Has two large soccer fields, a small gym, change rooms, and a meeting room. Opened in 2007, its location is at Knoxdale and West Hunt Club Road.
Crestview is a neighbourhood in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Crestview is bounded on the north by Norice Street, on the east by Merivale Road, on the south CN Railtracks and on the west by Woodroffe Avenue. The homes were built from 1959 to 1963. Most of the homes are bungalows which was popular in the 1950s and early 1960s. Later on, townhouses were built behind Merivale Mall and another section was built on Viewmount at the corner of Sullivan and Parkside Crescent.
The neighbourhood is believed to be named after the shape of Viewmount Drive going in a crest. Originally Viewmount ended at Meirvale Road and was extended to Fisher Avenue in the early 1980s for the development of Fisher Glen. The neighbourhood has four parks: Donland, Olmstead, Oakview, Bob Mitchell, and Crestview. Bob Mitchell Park has tennis courts. It is home to Merivale Mall. The mall was built in 1977 and just celebrated its 35th anniversary.
The homeschools are Meadowlands Public School on Fieldrow Avenue and next door is St. Gregory’s Catholic School. St.Gregory’s moved to Meadowlands and Brook Lane in 2001 when Brook Street Public School closed. The building today is a Montessori. For middle schools, there is Sir Winston Churchill and Frank Ryan Catholic School in Parkwood Hills. High schools Merivale High School and St. Pius X for Catholics.
Crystal Beach is a neighbourhood in Bay Ward in the west end of Ottawa. Prior to amalgamation in 2001 it was in the City of Nepean. The neighbourhood is triangular in shape, and its boundaries can broadly be described as Carling Avenue to the northeast, Moodie Drive to the west, and Corkstown Road to the south. Crystal Beach was established in the 1960s. Primarily developed by Minto Developments Inc., many of the residences in Crystal Beach are modified versions of the five original models of homes originally built in the neighbourhood. The neighbourhood was later extended in 1974 around Carling via Corkstown Road with townhomes and in 1988 with Maki Park. Some newer portions of the neighbourhood were built by Garand Homes. Together with the Lakeview neighbourhood south of Corkstown and the Rocky Point neighbourhood north of Carling, the area is part of the Crystal Beach/Lakeview Community Association. According to the Canada 2011 Census, the total population of the neighbourhood was 2,416.
Crystal Beach is a primarily residential neighbourhood with a strong sense of community, and over the years, has become one of the most desired real-estate locations in Ottawa. Much of Crystal Beach’s appeal is due to its close proximity to the Nepean Sailing Club, Andrew Haydon Park, the Carling Campus and Ottawa River, its award-winning neighbourhood design (to reduce traffic flowing through), easy access to the Queensway (Highway 417), quality schooling, community centre, and the recreational facilities within.
(schools within Crystal Beach boundaries)
Lakeview Public School (Early French Immersion) JK to Grade 5
Crystal Beach Public School for Special Education
(schools outside Crystal Beach, but which have Crystal Beach as a part of their catchment zone)
College catholique Franco-Ouest (Grade 7 to 12)
Our Lady of Peace Catholic Elementary, Bells Corners (JK to Grade 6)
Bells Corners Public, Bells Corners (JK to Grade 5)
Grant Alternative School (JK to Grade 6)
D.A. Moodie, Bells Corners (Grade 6 to 8)communitiy’s middle school
St. Paul High School, 2675 Draper Avenue (Grades 7 and 8, Grades 9 to 12)
Bell High School, Bells Corners (Grade 9 to 12)community’s high school
Andrew Haydon Park
Corkstown Park- Features a skatin rink and a swimming pool.
Maki Park – In the winter months, Maki Park has a full skating rink and ‘puddle’. This facility is supervised, lit at night, has on-site washrooms available, and full hockey boards on the main surface. Open: Mon to Fri: 6 to 9 pm & Sat, Sun: noon to 9 pm. Please see the City of Ottawa’s Website for more information.
Lakeview Park – In the winter months, Lakeview Park has two ice surfaces, a full size ice rink for hockey and a separate sheet for skating. This outdoor ice surface has been sought after by NHL teams like the Florida Panthers.
Dick Bell Park – The Nepean Sailing Club is located in Dick Bell Park.
Lakeview- Corkstown Road and Carling to the north, NCC Bike path to the west, Holly Acres Road to the east and Highway 417 to the south.
Crystal Bay Established in early 1900s
Rocky Point Established in ealry 1900s
Crystal Beach is a 15 minute drive from Downtown, and about 5 minutes from Kanata. From this neighbourhood there are easy ways to access both the West end and Centre of Ottawa, as Crystal Beach is served by two major arteries (Highway 417, Carling avenue).
Public Transportation is provided by OC Transpo, with Route 152 as the primary route for the community.
Fallowfield is an unincorporated village, (also known as Fallowfield Village) in the city of Ottawa. Located south-west of Bells Corners, west of Barrhaven and the 416 and north-east of Richmond within the southwest area of the city. Fallowfield is located in the triangle of Fallowfield Road, Richmond Road and Steeple Hill Crescent and also includes Richmond Road north up to Hope Side Road. The village serves as a bedroom community for the larger urban area of Ottawa as there are no retail or commercial enterprises in the village. It assumes a rather prominent position over the surrounding countryside as the major part of the Village is located on a gently terraced escarpment. Population for the village is estimated at about 366 people as of 2004. Public high school students in this area go to South Carleton High School in Richmond.
Fallowfield Village was originally settled in the 1820s by Irish immigrants from Tipperary and Cork Counties at which time the majority of Carleton County was similarly settled. There are two churches, both along Steeple Hill; St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church built in 1833 with the current stone chapel completed in 1866 and the Fallowfield United Church built in 1868 with the current chapel completed in 1886. The cornerstone for the United (then Methodist) church was laid by Canada’s first Prime Minister, Sir John A. Macdonald. The name for the area was Piety Hill but the village name was not formalized to Fallowfield until June 1, 1872, with the appointment of a postmaster, P. Omeara, and the opening of a post office. As a direct result of this action, the village received its name, the origin of which was inspired by nearby fields that were in the process of being fallowed for the summer and is not historically linked to Fallowfield, in Manchester, England. The post office was closed June 30, 1914. For a timeline perspective, the Rideau Canal was built between 1826 and 1832 and the village of Richmond, to the southwest, was settled in 1818.
Fallowfield village was a strategic stop over point for travels between Perth, Richmond and Bytown (later to become Ottawa). By the turn of the century, Fallowfield was a bustling village and it became a favourite stopping place for travellers, especially farmers with their produce wagons and horse teams, en route to and from the market in Ottawa. At one time there were four hotels in the village to serve the travelling public. In addition, there were three carriage shops, two blacksmiths, a grist mill, tailor shop, cheese factory, shoemaker, general store and weigh scales for the farmers to weigh their produce. The widespread use of the automobile most likely rendered the village into a bedroom community as farther distances could be travelled in one day with no need for stop overs like what Fallowfield village offered.
The majority of the development was established in the early 1980s. Rooney Park is named after the Rooney family who were Irish farmers in the village. Fallowfield village was originally part of Carleton County, Nepean but has been within the City of Ottawa since January 1, 2001 as part of amalgamation.
Old Richmond Road used to follow what is now known as Steeple Hill, the current name coming from the fact that no less than four churches were located in a one kilometer stretch of road. These churches are, from North to South: St. Patrick’s Catholic (1866), St. Barnabas Anglican (1889), St. John’s Presbyterian(1886) and Fallowfield Methodist(1886). In 1925 the United Church was formed between the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregationalist and St. John’s Presbyterian was vacated and demolished in the 1940s. St. Barnabas Anglican was also demolished in the 1940s and only two churches of the original churches remain tod
The community is served by OC Transpo bus route 283 with the only stop located at the intersection of Steeple Hill and Fallowfield. The morning direction is located on the south side of Fallowfield (stop #0870) and the afternoon direction is located on the north side of Fallowfield (stop #2227).
Fisher Heights is a neighbourhood located within the former City of Nepean in Ottawa. It is located in Knoxdale-Merivale Ward. The area is located south of the Experimental Farm and approximately 8 km away from downtown Ottawa.
Fisher Heights is bounded on the north by Baseline Road, on the east by Fisher Avenue, on the south by Meadowlands Drive and on the west by the Skyline neighbourhood on Farlane Boulevard. Fisher Heights is located in the far northeast corner of the former city of Nepean and was first developed in the early 1950s.
Fisher Heights is home to the Ottawa Islamic School. The school was formerly Fisher Heights Public School which ran from 1954 until 1988. Zena’s Fisher Heights Plaza is a strip mall at the intersection of Fisher Avenue and Baseline Road. Villa Marconi is a long-term care facility and non-profit, charitable organization. Open spaces in the area include Fisher Heights Park and Steve MacLean/Long Park. A volunteer run community association operates in the neighbourhood as the Fisher Heights & Area Community Association (FHACA).
Qualicum-Graham Park or is a suburban neighbourhood in College Ward in the City of Ottawa. It is located in the former City of Nepean in the west end of the city. Many of the residences in the area are executive homes situated on large lots (100×100) being built in the 1960s. Qualicum Street boasts large custom houses built by Bill Teron. The neighbourhood is bounded to the north by the Queensway, to the west by Richmond Road, to the south by Baseline Road, and to the east by Morrison Drive at the former Ottawa-Nepean border towards Redwood. Named after Qualicum Beach in British Columbia. According to the Canada 2011 Census, the total population of the neighbourhood was 1,715.
Most of the streets are named after Aboriginal Indians and towns in British Columbia, these streets are located in the community:
Aleutian Road- named after the Aleutian Islands in Alaska.
Chinook Crescent- the Chinook winds in the Canadian Prairies.
Cowichan Way- named after the Cowichan peoples in BC.
Esquimalt Avenue- a town on Vancouver Island. One of the main streets in the neighborhood; starts at Beaumaris and ends at Okanagan
Kitimat Crescent-Town in northwestern British Columbia]
Kitsilano Court- Named after a suburb in Vancouver, British Columbia. Located at the former Graham Park Public School grounds in Qualicum-Graham Park
Mohawk Crescent- Named after the Mohawk Indians. The tribe is located in the St. Lawrence Region; Southern Quebec, Eastern Ontario, and Northern New York.
Nanamio Drive-A town in Vancouver Island. Another main street in the neighbourhood.
Okanagan Drive- Named after the Okanagan Valley around the Rocky Mountains in BC. Starts at Nanamio Drive, which curves and ends at Baseline Road.
Qualicum Street- Named after Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island. Qualicum street is parallel along Baseline Road. Starts at Draper Avenue and ends at Esquimalt Avenue.
Sioux Crescent- Named after the Sioux Indians in the Northern United States(Minnesota, Dakotas, Iowa and Montana) and the Prairies in Central Canada (Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan).
The neighbourhood was originally woods and farms. At the southwest tip of Qualicum the Bruce family owned the farm until the community’s development in 1961. Today the farm is Bruce Farm Park. The community was built between 1961 and 1967. Other main streets in the neighbourhood are Queensline and Beaumaris.
Graham Creek meanders through the neighbourhood. Starts at the Bruce Pit Quarry near Trend-Arlington and ends at Andrew Hayden Park at the Ottawa River.
For schools there are Ecole Maimonides School (formerly Graham Park Public School) a private French school, Our Lady of Peace Catholic School in Bells Corners, Leslie Park, Grant Alternative (formerly Christie Public School), Knoxdale and Greenbank Middle School. For high schools there is St. Paul’s (formerly Sir John A. MacDonald High School), Franco Ouest, Sir Robert Borden and Bell High School (Ottawa). Maimondies was formerly Graham Park Public School. Graham Park operated from 1964 until 1988 due to a decline in population. The school was demoished in June 2011. In 2015, Kitsilano Court was built with newly developed homes on the former school grounds.
The community is close to many attractions and amenities. It is home to The Queensway Carleton Hospital which opened in 1976; was originally part of the Bruce farmland. It is very close to Bayshore Shopping Centre and Pinecrest Shopping Mall.
Parks in the neighbourhood include Mohawk, Okanagan, Qualicum, Valley Stream, and Nanamio/Graham Park. The Valley Stream Park is home to the Valley Stream Tennis Club. In 2010 a community centre was built in Graham Park which host the Qualicum-Graham Park Community Association monthly meetings.
Grenfell Glen (also called the Grenfell Sector) is a small neighbourhood in Knoxdale-Merivale Ward in the city of Ottawa. It is located in the former city of Nepean. Grenfell Glen is a small community of about 150 houses surrounded by woods that are part of the National Capital Commission’s Greenbelt. The population of the neighbourhood is about 450.
Pinhey Forest, named after Charles H. Pinhey, is located immediately to Grenfell Glen’s north. It is bordered on the north by West Hunt Club Road. The small portion of forest to the West of Grenfell Glen was intended to be the remainder of the neighbourhood and still has streets that are named on some maps. The developer of the neighbourhood sold that remainder of land to the NCC. As a result, the community is in the middle of the Ottawa green belt.
The neighbourhood was developed by subdivider W. Elmer Brown in 1956 following his 1951 Pineglen development. Brown bought the land, subdivided it and sold it to residents or developers to build on. The neighbourhood was developed using a ‘metes and bounds’ description as it was considered by both subdivider/developer and Nepean council at the time to be out of the urban control area. This was a preferred method of development for most builders at the time as it bypassed planning approval by the council and delays in approval by the Ottawa Planning Area Board, and the Road Agreement (which was a condition of subdivision approval that meant subdividers had to lay gravel roads at their own expense). This bypassing of planning approval would lead to difficulties in road construction and completion, wherein for Grenfell Glen it would take until 1958 for Nepean’s road superintendent to finally complete the roads at Brown’s expense.
Grenfell Glen is also neighbour to Pineglen, which is on the other side of the railway tracks on its border to the south.
The neighbourhood is covered by the Glens Community Association.
The neighbourhood was developed in 1956 and most original homeowners are now retired. The official residence of the Ambassador of Cameroon is located on Burnbank Street. Philemon Yunji Yang lived there for 20 years when the normal post of an Ambassador is five years. Russ Jackson, the famous Canadian football player, used to live on Avonlea Road near the corner of Burnbank Street.
Leslie Park is a suburban neighbourhood in College Ward in the City of Ottawa. It is located in the former City of Nepean. Leslie Park is bounded on the north by Baseline Road, on the east by Greenbank Road and on the south by the OCRR. The Leslie Park Community Association has the fence west of Costello St as the western boundary. According to the Canada 2011 Census, the population of the neighbourhood (including the Valley Steam area) was 3,134.
The neighbourhood was built from 1963-1970’s. Monterrey Drive has lots of stone brick English style townhouses. By the 1970s more townhouses were built on Costello Avenue. In the early 2000s more townhouses were built west of Guthrie between Monterey and Baseline Road.
Leslie Park is one of the neighbourhoods that has the oldest trees that are over 100 years old.
Leslie Park contains two parks (Leslie Park, and Brucelands Park). It also contains two schools (Leslie Park Public School and St. John the Apostle Catholic School).
Longfields is a community located in Ottawa. This recent neighbourhood is located within the growing suburb of Barrhaven in the city’s southwest and bordered by Greenbank Road, Strandherd Drive and Woodroffe Avenue.
Longfields was mostly built in the early 1990s during Barrhaven major expansion during that period. Today, there is still development underway particularly near the intersection of Longfields Drive and Strandherd Road in which it is conjunction of the development of Chapman Mills located just to the south of it (south of Strandherd). Barrhaven’s most recent Catholic high school, Mother Teresa, was built there alongside an elementary school: Pierre Elliott Trudeau. There are plans for low-rise condominium buildings. The future southwest transitway extension will travel just north of the community along the Via Rail train line. Also, a new station in the transitway corridor ( named Longfields, after the neighbourhood) was built and opened in the Spring of 2011.
There are also plans for major development south of Longfields with a large employment zone as well as a possible expansion of the O-Train north-south light rail project which was cancelled in December 2006.
Lynwood Village is a neighbourhood in Bells Corners, west of Ottawa. The neighbourhood is also known as Bells Corners East. The homes were built in between 1958 and 1966. It is one of the first examples of tract housing in Ottawa. The neighbourhood is bounded to the north Robertson Road, east is presumably Highway 416, south by Hunt Club Road, and the west is Moodie Drive.
The first area to be developed was Stinson Avenue in 1950, followed by Arbeatha Park in 1955-1958, and then Lynwood Village. Land speculators Lloyd Francis and Donald Sim had assembled a vast tract of land. In 1958, they brought in Bill Teron to build the entire subdivision. By 1960, four hundred families lived in Teron’s bungalows; another four hundred homes were built in 1961. Many more were built between 1962 and 1965. The last area of Lynwood to be developed was the area bounded by Richmond, Robertson, and Moodie Drive in 1966. Today there are over 1700 homes in the Lynwood area. Later, in the 1980s senior’s homes were built. Lynwood Village is considered to be the biggest neighbourhood in Bells Corners.
The neighbourhood is home to four schools Bell High School, Bells Corners Public School, Our Lady of Peace Catholic School and Tulu Academy Elementary School; there are many parks such as Trevor Park, Bell Field,George Wilson Park, Williams Park and Lynwood Park; Centennial Library built in 1967 as one of Expo 67 style dome and CCBC (Christ Church Bells Corners) Originally built in 1853. Entrance Park features a public outdoor pool. Lynwood Park features a community center, tennis courts and soccer fields. Many strip malls are on Robertson Road.
Manordale is a neighbourhood in Knoxdale-Merivale Ward in the west end of Ottawa. It is located in the former City of Nepean. It is bounded on the north and west by Knoxdale Road, east by Woodroffe Avenue, and south by Hunt Club Road. According to the Canada 2011 Census this area has a population of 1,947.
Established in the late 1950s and early 1960s. The homes are mainly bungalows which also features rental townhouses on Woodroffe. Manordale was considered the first neighbourhood developed in the Knoxdale ward. Later in the decade Woodvale, north of Knoxdale was developed.
Home to four parks: Manordale Park, Sherry Lane Park, Roundhay Park and Ben Franklin Park. Manordale Park features the Manordale Community Building.
It is also home to the original Nepean Fire Station. Two schools in the neighbourhood are Manordale Public School and Saint John XXIII Catholic School.
Close to Ben Franklin soccer dome and the Nepean Sportsplex. A bike path is close by going along Hunt Club Road.
Parkwood Hills is a neighbourhood in Knoxdale-Merivale Ward in the west end of Ottawa. Prior to amalgamation in 2001, it was located in the City of Nepean. It is notable for the thriller Parkwood Hills (2002) which was filmed on location in the area by Kolin Casagrande, and for being a typical and illustrative example of town planning and development by Minto in the context of its position as the property manager for the National Capital Commission.
Central to this development is Meadowlands Drive to the north (some of the neighbourhood goes past north of Meadowlands to Baseline Road), bounded to the east by Fisher Avenue and to the west by Merivale Road. It is in River Ward, and also in Knoxdale-Merivale Ward which was expanded in 2006.
It is a mixed-dwelling suburb, having apartment blocks, townhouses and an assortment of single-family houses. The development is largely the work of the building company, Minto, which maintains ownership of many of the multi-residence buildings. The tract has been developed over the past half-century and is largely complete. The development was planned by architect John Russell in 1959. He was influenced by Californian community layouts and house models. The building took place between 1959 and 1972. In 1967 Minto built the first high-rise condominium development in Canada, called Horizon House, and located on Meadowlands Drive at Chesterton.
Suburban development flourished in the 1950s and ’60s, with Ottawa companies, including Minto and Campeau Corporation building slews of suburban singles in Elmvale Acres, Parkwood Hills and similar areas, many of them in the 1,200-square-foot range.
Public schools in Nepean are administered by the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board (Parkwood Hills, Century, Sir Winston Churchill, and Merivale High School) . Catholic schools are administered by the Ottawa-Carleton Catholic School Board(Frank Ryan and St. Rita). Amalgamation of some schools has been recently recommended, due to a fall in student numbers. Parkwood Hills Public School closed in 2010 after a low decline in students. Students afterwards went to Sir Winston Churchill.
Huron Towers Preschool/Kindergarten Child Care Center caters for 44 children. In 2010 the Child Care Center moved to a new, enviromentally friendly building where it will cater for 47 children on Capilano Drive and Beaver Ridge. St. Luke’s Child Care Center also caters for 47 children . This center operates various childcare programs and outside visits.
115th Parkwood Hills Scouts meets weekly from fall through spring, and holds meetings for Beavers, Cubs and Sea Scouts.
Parkwood Presbyterian Church in Chesterton drive was built in 1974, but its first service was held in Parkwood Hills Public School in 1964. Due to expansion in attendance, a congregation was formed in 1965, and the Mulvagh farmhouse – at the corner of Meadowlands and Chesterton – became the manse, with the congregation’s first full-time minister. Between 1965 and 2009 there have only been three resident ministers. Fundraising then provided for the new church building.
Due to further growth of the congregation, an expansion fund was set up in the early 1980s. The old manse was renovated to become the Fellowship Centre in 1989, with a wheelchair ramp added in 1990. In 1996 the church building was expanded, and the congregation was involved in various missions in 1996 and 1998.
This is a church-going community which is surrounded by other neighbourhoods, so that the only church in Parkwood does not have a monopoly on the local faithful. For example, those with a different outlook can attend Trinity United Church in a neighbouring neighbourhood (located on Maitland Drive in Copeland Park), which mentions open minds and inclusivity on its website.
This community includes parks, playgrounds, tennis courts and retail areas. A neighborhood bonfire takes place at Halloween.
Parks and sport
Parkwood Hills Recreation Centre is in Meadowland Mall, on Merivale Road.
General Burns park, named after E. L. M. Burns, contains an outdoor public swimming pool, 4 tennis courts, baseball field, soccer field and a children’s play area. The General Burns Community Centre is in a 1950s log cabin, and offers recreational and community programs, which include pilates, taekwondo, 117th Company Pathfinders, 115th Parkwood Hills Scout group, Duffer Doo and Parkwood Hills Association. In winter from mid-December the park operates an outdoor rink and children’s ice pad.Raoul Wallenberg park is named after the humanitarian Raoul Wallenberg.
Parkwood Hills Softball Association operates youth and adult softball leagues, and holds charity tournaments. They award various trophies: the Neil Cohen Memorial Trophy, the Ron Potvin Memorial Trophy and the Junior Umpire Achievement Award.
Allotments and gardening
The Nepean Allotment Gardens on Viewmount comprise 200 plots.
This is run by OC Transpo on the OC Transpo routes, and discussed at the Public Transit in Ottawa site. Buses run mainly on Meadowlands Drive, consisting of the regular routes, 86 and 111, and the commuter route, 57.
Skyline is a neighbourhood in Knoxdale-Merivale Ward in Ottawa. Prior to amalgamation in 2001, the neighbourhood was located in the City of Nepean. It is bounded on the south by Meadowlands Drive of Parkwood Hills, on the west by Clyde Avenue and Merivale Road, on the north by Baseline Road and on the east by the neighbourhood of Fisher Heights.
Most of the houses were built from the early 1950s to 1970s. The community has Minto property featuring a 12-storey high rise with town houses on Eleanor Drive which is owned by Minto Developments Inc.. In the early 2000s some garden homes were built off Eleanor Drive. In 2008, Encore Private was built just off Farlane Drive and Baseline Road.
The neighbourhood includes Meadowlands Mall and Emerald Plaza in the southwest corner. It is also home of the City View Curling Club (despite City View being west of Clyde/Merivale). The neighbourhood is also home to Gilbey Park and Eleanor Park. CTV Ottawa had its headquarters in Skyline, from the 1950s until February 2010, when its newsroom was gutted by fire.
Tanglewood, also known as Tanglewood-Hillsdale is a suburban neighbourhood in Knoxdale-Merivale Ward in the city of Ottawa. It is located within the former City of Nepean in the west end of the city. It is located in the federal and provincial ridings of Nepean-Carleton. It is informally bounded by CN Railway to the north, Merivale Road to the east, Hunt Club Road to the south, and Woodroffe Avenue to the west.
The Tanglewood sector was built between 1968 and 1986 and the Hillsdale sector was built in the early to mid 1980s. In 2006, Tanglewood-Hillsdale had 1,871 dwellings; 22% of these being single homes, 21% being semi-detached, 45% being townhouses and 12% being an apartments. Seventy 70% owned, while 30% of residents rented their homes.
Statistics taken from the 2006 Ottawa Neighbourhood Study http://neighbourhoodstudy.ca/lang.html
As of the 2006 census, there are 4,894 residents, seventy percent being between 20 and 69. Regarding living arrangements, of the 1370 residents over 55 years old, 275 live alone. Of residents living in families, there are 712 children under the age of 15. Twenty percent are lone parent families. Regarding language, 74% of our residents speak or understand English only, less than 1% reported speaking or understand French only, 24% reported that they speak or understand both English and French, and close to 1% reported that they knew neither English nor French. Among residents who came to Canada post 2000, their continent of origin were: 50% were from Asia or the Middle East, 26% were from Europe, 7.4% were from South or Central America, 7.2% were from Africa, 4.8% were from the Caribbean and 3.3% were from the United States. Regarding income, the average individual income in Tanglewood was $36,187; the average household income was $77,630. Regarding educational achievement, 32% completed a bachelor’s degree, 24% completed college or CEGEP, 5.9% completed an apprenticeship or trades certificate, 28% completed at least high school, 11% of residents did not complete high school.
Many young adults in the community who have completed secondary education attend Algonquin College or Carleton University. Secondary school aged youth attend Merivale High School, or St. Pius X High School. Redeemer Christian High School is a local private school. Primary aged children attend Meadowlands (English and Early French immersion) or St. Monica Elementary School. Regarding schools for Francophones: secondary age youth attend Omer-Deslauriers (public) or College catholique Franco-Ouest. Primary age children attend either Charlotte-Lemieux (public) or Ecole elementaire catholique Jean-Robert Gauthier.
Schools mentioned here are taken from the websites of the four boards of education.
The community is served by the OC Transpo routes # 156. Rapid transit is a kilometre away. Intercity rail connections can be made at Fallowfield Station to Montreal, Brockville and Toronto. It is 5 kilometres from the community.
Of those who worked, 26% use public transit, 62% drive a car, truck, or van to work, 5% ride in a car, truck, or van as a passenger, 5% walked to work, and 2% bicycled to work.
The Nepean Baptist Church is located in the community. Living Believers hold services at the Community Center. Churches/Synagogues/Mosques are nearby.
There are at least 38 business located in the community. Some are health service providers including a pharmacy. Others are restaurants, convenience stores and a gas bar. A current listing can be found on the Association’s website.
There are two parks in the community, both dog leash parks. Tanglewood Park has two play structures, a tennis court, a ball diamond, a basketball court/ball hockey courts. Hillsdale Park has play structures, basketball/walk and hoops, two ball diamonds, an outdoor volleyball court and a soccer field. A toboggan hill is also found in the south side of the Community.
The Tanglewood Hillsdale Community Association was incorporated in August 1988 to represent and advance the interests of neighbourhood residents. The Association on behalf of the City of Ottawa manages the Tanglewood Park Community Centre, and its outdoor rinks and basketball and road hockey courts. It is situated close to the Howard Darwin Centennial Arena. The Association is a member of the Knoxdale-Merivale Council of Community Associations and the Federation of Citizens Associations of Ottawa and its predecessor the Nepean Federation of Community Associations. It has been particularly active during periods when major developments or issues surface in the community, such as the Hunt Club extension, Costco and Crossroads commercial developments. The Community Association participates with the City police in providing Neighbourhood Watch. Households and businesses are encouraged to be members of the association. The Association partners with the Nepean Rideau and Osgoode Community Resource Centre in the provision of services in the neighbourhood.
Westcliffe Estates (Bells Corners West), is a neighbourhood of Bells Corners in College Ward, in the west end of Ottawa. Founded in 1969, most of the older homes in this area were built by Assaly Construction and later the Thomas C. Assaly Corporation. The Westcliffe community is characterized by significantly higher residential densities than other parts of Bells Corners. There is a multi-storey housing complex operated by Nepean Housing as well as a multi-storey seniors residence and co-operative housing project. Today there are a total of 1760 homes in the neighbourhood.
Westcliffe Estates: the New Community
The 1879 map of Bell’s Corners, shows the lands that are now called Westcliffe as farmland and forest, owned by John Robertson, J.R. O’Grady, Owen Hammill, James Sparks and John Sparks. A 1952 map, has the Robertson land owned by Thomas Robertson, O’Grady’s by William Morrison, Hammill’s land by William Hammill and the Spark’s land owned by Ernest Byrne.
The 1962 zoning by-law shows plans, of what would eventually be known as Westcliffe Estates, for single-family homes (R3) on urban lots (60 x 100). North of what would be Oberon, Mill Hill, Terrace and Waterfall were zoned for light industry (M). By 1969, the layout for the northern section was rezoned: what would be Priam and Ariel, one side of Cymbeline and Oberon, and two small parcels on Tarquin, were designated single or double homes on smaller lots (R4); the remaining parts of Oberon and Cymbeline, Tybalt and Tarquin, garden homes and townhouses (R5). Roadways were outlined for Westcliffe and the northern leg of Seyton. A parcel of land to the east of Oberon was still zoned R3, as was the rest of the area. The park areas had not been designated at this time.
The New Development
Westcliffe Estates was first developed by Assaly and Johannsen, with parcels of land later sold to other developers. Building had started in 1969/70 with families moving into their new homes on Oberon, Cymbeline, and Ariel in 1970. Many of these semi-detached homes were celebrated, and marketed, as fine examples of mid-century modern residential design.
1970 also saw the start of a new official plan for Nepean, which changed the face of the proposed Westcliffe Estates. The new plan also outlined proposals for industrial/commercial development on lands north of the Bell’s Corners strip.
The new plan was designed on the ‘neighbourhood unit’ concept, based on the distance young children could be expected to walk to school, and with a centrally located park. Internal roads were designed to discourage through traffic, no longer on the formal grid system, and only wide enough for the required traffic volume. Winding crescents would feed onto collector roads, which would then connect to the main arterial roads.
The ‘neighbourhood unit’ also designated apartment buildings and townhouses in the centre of the new community, along with single-family dwellings. Mixed zoning was a new concept, and Westcliffe’s new plan was a good blend of housing types. The mix also included resident homeowners and rental units.
Building rapidly continued until 1976, with the completion of homes on Tarquin, Tybalt, Priam, and Westcliffe. By this time most of the building was being done by the Thomas C. Assaly Corp. There were four basic designs on Priam named the Chelsea, the Regency, the Rockcliffe, and the Tudor. While on Westcliffe Road the semi-detached homes were named Ambassador, Monarch, and Diplomat. In the following years more building gradually started with the townhouses on Forester and Sonnet (1978/79), Seyton and Lovell (1982) single-family homes on Tyrrell (1983), Eileen Tallman (1985), Harmer House (1986) and single-family homes on the west ridge of the community, Seyton, Florizel, Robina, Fagus (Stonepark) and Betula (Forestview) (1989).
The Changing Face of the Community
The 1971 plan officially designated parkland, including the small parks at Priam, Florizel, and Betula (Forestview). Lovell, the school, Betula and Florizel were still R3. The land east of Oberon was rezoned M for light industry. Tyrrell was zoned R4, Forester, Sonnet, Seyton and Hammill were zoned R5, for multi-family housing. However, with the expansion of industrial and commercial development, and the ever-increasing demand for housing, developers kept coming back requesting changes to the 1971 plan.
By 1980, changes were made from R3 to I (institutional) for the Catholic school, (St. Paul, now Franco Ouest), constructed in 1978. Lovell had been rezoned from R3 to R5, to allow for the town home clusters. What would be Hammill, the school parking lot, Eileen Tallman, Harmer House and the corner of Tyrrell and Seyton were all rezoned R6 for apartments.
In the late 80s, the land east of Oberon nearly became residential. Terrace, Mill Hill, and Waterfall were changed to residential, R4, R5, and R1C to allow a mixed development, and Institutional for Robertson House. Harmer House also went from R5 to Institutional. The land on Robertson was now mixed light industrial (M) and commercial (C). Florizel, Robina, Betula, Fagus, and the western part of Seyton had already been zoned for mixed housing, ranging from R3 to R5. In 1989, the R3 designation was removed to allow for larger singles on smaller lots and less townhouses. Betula and Fagus were renamed Forestview and Stonepark.
By 1992, the school parking lot finally lost its apartment designation and became institutional (I). Hammill Court, built by Nepean Housing in 1992, was again rezoned to allow for special mixed dwellings (R1C). Further development took place in the north of the community on Terrace, Mill Hill and Waterfall (1986), and in 1990, Westcliffe finally got a community centre.
The New Millennium
In 2000, the City of Nepean consolidated its urban zoning by-law. Although zoning numbers have changed on Hammill, Terrace, and Waterfall (now R7) the designation remains the same. The Tyrrell / Seyton land (R6) was still vacant and the only land in the community that could bring change in the new millennium.
- Posted Rates
- Our Rates