Neighbourhoods in South Ottawa:
- Alta Vista
- Billings Bridge
- Confederation Heights
- Elmvale Acres
- Hawthorne Meadows
- Heron Gate
- Heron Park
- Hunt Club
- Hunt Club Chase
- Hunt Club Estate
- Hunt Club Park
- Riverside Park
- Riverside South
- Hunt Club Woods
- Mooney’s Bay
- Sheffield Glen
- South Keys
Airport-Uplands, or just Uplands, is a neighbourhood in Gloucester-Southgate Ward in the south end of Ottawa. It is located in the federal and provincial districts of Ottawa South. It is bordered by the Hunt Club neighbourhood to the north, the Blossom Park neighbourhood to the east, the Macdonald-Cartier International Airport to the south, and the Riverside South neighbourhood to the west.
Most of the neighbourhood’s population lives to the north-east of the airport, west of the Airport Parkway. This includes the military community living at CFB Uplands, which was a large air force base in the 1960s and which still contains residential housing for military members.
Alta Vista is a neighbourhood in Ottawa. Its boundaries can be broadly described as: Smyth Road in the north, St. Laurent Boulevard in the east, Walkley Road and Heron Road in the south, and Bank Street and Riverside Drive in the west. However, the name is ambiguous, as there are several sub-neighbourhoods in this area, as well as a core Alta Vista area, (which could be defined as south of Pleasant Park Road, north of Heron Road, and west of the eastern greenspace corridor), centered on Alta Vista Drive.
Alta Vista Drive is a major street running through the neighbourhood, and shares its name. Both are named for their relative height, as the neighbourhood is generally higher than most of the city. Alta Vista is a highly residential neighbourhood with a strong community, several schools, churches, and community centres. It also has a vast amount of greenspace and parks, much of which is part of the Alta Vista Transportation Corridor Environmental Assessment. The OC Transpo Transitway also runs through Alta Vista, with two stations in the neighbourhood itself (Pleasant Park and Riverside) as well as two just outside (Billings Bridge and Smyth), serving as a vital transit link to the rest of the city.
The General Campus of the Ottawa Hospital, and The Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario are located just on the north side of Smyth Road, in Riverview, while the Riverside Campus of the Ottawa Hospital is located at Smyth and Riverside Drive. There are two shopping malls in and around Alta Vista: the illings Bridge Plaza Shopping Centre at Bank Street and Riverside and the Elmvale Shopping Centre at St. Laurent and Smyth.
Alta Vista had a population of about 24,047 as of the Canada 2011 Census.
Billings Bridge is a bridge over the Rideau River in Ottawa. Bank Street passes over the river by way of this bridge. The bridge was named after Braddish Billings, who settled in this area and established a farm nearby in 1812. The first bridge, originally called Farmers Bridge, was built over the river here in 1830. The current bridge was built in 1916.
Billings Bridge also referred to a village, located south of the river near the bridge, which became part of the city of Ottawa in 1950. The area, now an Ottawa neighbourhood, is still referred to as Billings Bridge.
On 1 January 1950 14,605 acres of the then-township of Gloucester were annexed by the City of Ottawa, including Billings Bridge, Overbrook, Hurdman’s Bridge, Ellwood, Hog’s Back, Manor Park, Rideau Park, Hawthorne, Riverview and Alta Vista.
Confederation Heights is an area in south Ottawa, made up of mostly government buildings. It is bounded on the east by Data Centre Road, on the north and west by the Rideau River and on the south by Brookfield Road. Confederation Heights includes the Clarke Memorial Centre (RA Centre), the Taxation Data Centre (Revenue Canada), the Edward Drake Building (formerly Canadian Broadcasting Corporation), the Sir Leonard Tilley Building (formerly the Communications Security Establishment), Canada Post Place (Canada Post headquarters), the Sir Charles Tupper Building (Public Works Canada), Hog’s Back Park, Vincent Massey Park and Confederation O-Train Station.
Several main roads run from the South Keys neighbourhood directly downtown, such as Bank Street and the Airport Parkway (which becomes Bronson Avenue). The OC Transpo Transitway includes train and bus stops at South Keys and Greenboro Stations. )
Prior to the expropriation of the Merkley Brick Yard in 1954, the area had been a combination of woods, farmland, quarry and brickyard. The arrival of Federal government departments in the late 1950s – early 1960s had a significant impact on the area. In 1959, the Fire Chief of Gloucester Township (the area was incorporated into Ottawa the following year) raised concerns that road traffic caused by the 1400 new workers commuting to Confederation Heights would interfere with the firefighters’ ability to respond to fires from their station in Billings Bridge. It was estimated that daily traffic on Riverside Drive west of Bank Street would increase by 3500 cars.
In 1961, Prime Minister John Diefenbaker inaugurated the Sir Alexander Campbell Building, the new headquarters building of the Department of the Post office. The building, designed by architects Shore and Moffat was one of three which anchored the site. Public Works National Headquarters, opened in 1960 (Lithwick, Lambert and Sim Architects) was another. The third was the Sir Leonard Tilley Building. Plans to move various other departments to Confederation Heights changed over time. For example, Indian and Northern Affairs were suggested but never moved to the site. The new government jobs also drove the development of neighbourhoods and infrastructure (eg: Brookfield HS, opened 1962; General Vanier PS, opened 1963) in nearby Billings Bridge, Riverside Park, and Carleton Heights.
A plaza, with fountains and benches, spread between the self-standing cafeteria building and the Canada Post building. To commemorate Canada’s Centennial, a sundial was installed on the plaza. The plaque attached to its base read “Erected by Headquarters Staff of the Post Office Department to Commemorate the Centennial of Confederation July 26, 1967”. The fountains and sundial have since disappeared.
Ellwood (also known as Ridgemont- but not to be confused with the neighbourhood north of Walkley) is a neighbourhood and former railway point in River Ward, in the south end of Ottawa. It is bounded by Walkley Road on the north, the O-Train Trillium Line on the west, Albion Road on the east and the Walkley Railway Yards on the south. The population of this area is approximately 2908 (2011 Census).
Elmvale Acres (2011 population: 3,280) is a neighbourhood in south Ottawa, located in Alta Vista Ward. It was built in the late 1950s by the contractor and property developer, Robert Campeau.
It includes the Elmvale Acres Shopping Centre on St. Laurent, which functions as an east end OC Transpo transit terminus. This shopping centre was the scene of a family-related shooting in September 2006.
The neighbourhood corresponds to Census Tract 5050009.00. The neighbourhood is 63% Anglophone and 15% Francophone. Other major languages include Arabic (4%), Tagalog (2%), Portuguese (1%) and Italian (1%).
Hawthorne Meadows is a neighbourhood in Alta Vista Ward in southeast Ottawa. It is triangular in shape; it is bounded on the west by St. Laurent Boulevard, on the northeast by Russell Road and on the south by Walkley Road.
The neighbourhood corresponds to Census Tract 5050010.00 which had a population of 3,787 according to the 2011 Canadian Census. 45% of the population were Anglophones and 19% were Francophones. Other major languages include Arabic (10%), Somali (3%), Tagalog (3%), Italian (2%) Creole (2%), Portuguese (1%), Spanish (1%) and Swahili (1%).
Heron Gate is a neighbourhood in Alta Vista Ward in the south end of Ottawa. The neighbourhood is triangular in shape. It is bounded on the north by Heron Road on the west by Heron-Walkley Park, and by Walkley Road on the south.
There are several parks in the neighbourhood, and served by Ridgemount High School, St. Patrick’s High School, St. Patrick Intermediate and Charles Hulse Elementary School for education. The area has train tracks to the south. It is one of the most densely populated neighbourhoods in the city. A number of new developments were completed on the west of the neighbourhood between 2006 and 2008.
The neighbourhood corresponds to Census Tract 5050007.02. It is extremely diverse with 30% of the population being Anglophone and 10% being Francophone. Other major languages include Arabic (19%), Somali (11%), Persian (3%) Creoles (2%), Nepali (2%), Spanish (2%), Urdu (2%), Amharic (1%) and Chinese (1%).
Heron Park is located south of Old Ottawa South. Its boundaries are the Rideau River to the north, the Sawmill Creek to the west, Bank Street to the east, Walkley Road to the south. The neighbourhood is divided by Heron Road but is considered all one neighbourhood. The city of Ottawa refers to the neighbourhood as Clementine, and the northern half of the neighbourhood is sometimes called Billings Bridge.
The total population of the neighbourhood is 3,829 (Canada 2011 Census).
As well it includes the natural beauty of the pathways beside the Sawmill Creek. Many neighbourhood businesses line Bank Street like the Blue Heron Mall which includes Farm Boy, Icheban Bakery, M&M Meats, and Colonnade Pizza.
Community Association meeting are held on the first Thursday of most months at 7pm in the Community Centre at Heron Park.
Hunt Club is a community in River Ward, in the south end of Ottawa. The area is named after the prestigious Ottawa Hunt and Golf Club, which has been part of the area since 1876. Hunt Club Road and many local businesses were also named after the golf course.
Hunt Club is located just north of the Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport and to the east of the Rideau River. The Hunt Club Community Organization defines the boundaries as the Rideau River to the west, the CP Prescott rail line now used by the O-Train Trillium Line to the east, the CN Albion line and Via Rail Beachburg Subdivision to the north, and the boundary of the old City of Ottawa (about half a block south of Hunt Club Road) to the south. The population of the area is about 14,000.
16% of its 590 ha area is publicly accessible green space. It has 7 city parks: Cahill, McCarthy, Owl, Paul Landry, Riverwood, Uplands, and Uplands Riverside. In addition, many of its residents live in townhouse co-ops and condos that have their own community centers and recreational facilities, and some are members of the Ottawa Hunt and Golf Club with access to their 87 ha green space. It has three times the green space as the Ottawa average, including the Sawmill Creek wetlands and Rideau River shoreline.
It has a widely mixed demographic in age groups, ethnocultural backgrounds, socio-economic levels and family set ups. It includes single dwellings, semi-detached and townhouse units, apartment buildings, retirement homes, and an exceptional number of co-ops and condos that offer rent-to-income housing and village-like living. Its housing ranges from million dollar mansions to three Ottawa Community Housing projects. It has the second largest complex of Asian markets and services in Ottawa. A summer Asian cultural festival offers unrivalled access to many Asian foods.
Hunt Club was originally settled by Europeans in the early nineteenth century. It was originally part of Gloucester Township. In 1950 the still largely rural area was annexed to the city of Ottawa. Development of the area got underway in the 1970s, and that is when most of the current housing dates from. It was designed as a bedroom community with little commercial area.
One of the more prominent, and controversial areas, of the neighbourhood is the large Hunt Club Woods area. This region next to the CN rail lines was purchased by the National Capital Commission in 1953 with plans of turning it into part of a major ring road around Ottawa. These plans never materialized and the area has been an undeveloped mix of farm land, open meadows, and forests ever since. The NCC hopes to sell their considerable holdings to developers, and have the area turned into a new subdivision. Residents and greenspace advocates have fought this, hoping to preserve much of the area as open land.
Hunt Club is in the federal and provincial riding of Ottawa South, and the area is one of the more conservative portions of that riding. Municipally central Hunt Club is in River Ward.
Riverside Park is a neighbourhood in the south end of Ottawa. It is bounded on the north by Brookfield Road, on the east by the Airport Parkway, on the south by the CN rail tracks and on the west by the Rideau River.
The neighbourhood includes one of Ottawa’s most well known beaches at Mooney’s Bay and the Terry Fox Athletic Facility, along with both Vincent Massey Park, and Hog’s Back Park. Confederation Heights sits at the northern tip of the neighbourhood. It also includes the Ottawa Hunt and Golf Club, which has hosted professional and amateur golf tournaments.
The area is served by Brookfield High School and the General Vanier and Bayview Public Schools as well as the Holy Cross Catholic School. In addition to Mooney’s Bay, the area is served by four other parks; Paget Park, Marble Park, Flannery Park and Pauline Vanier Park, adjacent to General Vanier Public School.
In August 2007, Bayview Public School was closed at its site on Riverside drive. Its French immersion program moved to the R. Byrns Curry Public School building (renamed Bayview Public School). R. Byrns Curry students were reassigned to General Vanier Public School (J-K to grade 3) and Fielding Drive Public School (grades 4 to 8).
The neighbourhood is bifurcated by OCRR Railway. The area west of it is known as Riverside Park West and the area east of it is called Riverside Park East. The area to the south of Walkley Road is known as Riverside Park South.
According to the Canada 2011 Census, the population of the neighbourhood north of Walkley (Census Tract 5050003.00) was 4564 and south of Walkley (Census Tract 5050002.01) was 2893 for a total of 7457.
Riverside South is a suburban community in Gloucester-South Nepean Ward in the south end of the city of Ottawa, just southwest of Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport. Prior to amalgamation in 2001, the area was located in the city of Gloucester. Its population according to the Canada 2011 Census was 10,908.
In the early 1990s this area was mostly vacant with a few houses and some farms. The first homes in the community were built in 1996. Since then, there has been extensive housing development that seems to be growing in the pace of other major suburban communities in the region, such as Barrhaven, Kanata and Orleans.
Currently, most of the built up area of the community is limited to areas around River Road and Earl Armstrong Road, and just west of Limebank Road. It is planned that Riverside South will become a major community with south expansions closer to Manotick and to the east closer to Leitrim. According to the Riverside South Community Association, the boundaries will eventually be “Lietrim Road to the north, the Rideau River to the west, a line half-way between Earl Armstrong and Rideau Road to the south and Bowesville Road to the east. It is expected that the community will have a population of over 50,000 by 2031.
The Riverside South community also includes the much older community of Honey Gables, which includes three streets on the west side of River Road. This community was first built c. 1950, and has been under pressure by the surrounding developments.
It is home to the only Ottawa area school with a balanced calendar. Students at L’école élémentaire catholique Bernard-Grandmaître will experience a summer vacation which is shortened by three weeks. Those three weeks will then be re-distributed throughout the school year giving the students and teachers a one-week Thanksgiving vacation, an additional week during the week of the Victoria Day holiday, and an additional week during March Break. The balanced calendar is theoried to be very beneficial to students and teachers as they have more opportunities to unwind. The pilot project ended in 2010, and the school is running permanently on the balanced calendar. The results of the pilot project will help determine if other Ottawa schools will also apply that sort of calendar.
High school students in the area are served by Merivale High School – located in Nepean, South Carleton High School located in Richmond and St. Francis Xavier Catholic High School, located at the corner of Spratt and Limebank Rd. for Catholic middle school and high school students.
Riverview (also known as Riverview Park) is a neighbourhood in Ottawa. It is southeast of the downtown adjacent to the Rideau River, its location on which is its namesake. The 2016 Census population of Riverview is 12,218.
As defined by the Riverview Park Community Association, the neighbourhood is bounded on the west by the Rideau River, on the north by the CN railway tracks, on the east by St. Laurent Boulevard, and on the south by Smyth Road. Riverview is located adjacent to Old Ottawa East on the west (across the Rideau River), on the north by Eastway Gardens, on the south by Alta Vista and on the east by Sheffield Glen.
Riverview is home to a number of hospitals, thanks to its central location. These include the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario and the Ottawa General Hospital. The Riverside Hospital is also nearby, and the neighbourhood is also home to the National Defence Medical Centre, the Ottawa Rehabilitation Centre and the Perley and Rideau Veteran’s Health Centre.
Parks in Riverview include Dale Park, HurdmanPark, Balena Park, Riverview Park, Coronation Park and Hutton Park. Many of these are maintained by the Riverview Park Community Association.
Riverview Alternative Public School on Knox Crescent in Riverview
Riverview is home to a diversity of schools. There is one French elementary school (Lycée Claudel), a French Catholic High School (Franco Cité), an English alternative education school (Riverview), an English public school (Vincent Massey), and a private Montessori School. There are also five churches, a fire hall, a community centre (Dempsey), two shopping areas, and a number of parks. Riverview is also served by three transitway stations: Hurdman, Lycee Claudel and Smyth. Riverview is home to one of the oldest shopping centres in Ottawa, in the Alta Vista Shopping Centre. Riverview is also home to the St-Laurent-Russell Shopping Centre. The neighbourhood is served by the Dempsey Community Centre and is home to the Ottawa Life Sciences Technology Park.
The Riverview Park Community Association produced a free monthly newspaper for the neighbourhood, called Riverviews. When Riverviews stopped being published in December 2008, the “Riverview Park Review” became the community’s new independent newspaper.
Mooney’s Bay Park is a public park in Ottawa on the Rideau River. Its main entrance is on Riverside Drive, opposite Ridgewood Avenue, but can also be accessed from Hog’s Back Road.
Mooney’s Bay Park has a beach, picnic areas, a children’s playground and is the site of the Terry Fox Stadium. Located at 2960 Riverside Drive, year-round activities are available such as swimming in the waters of the Rideau River, biking along paths that can take riders as far as the downtown core, and cross country skiing. A ski school is available, as are indoor change rooms. Since 2012, like all city parks and beaches, Mooney’s Bay Park is regulated by a bylaw which prohibits smoking on the entire beach and park property.
In the summer, Mooney’s Bay Beach is one of the City of Ottawa’s four supervised beaches. The city’s Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Department set up a swimming area, which is supervised by trained lifeguards from 12pm-7pm each day, from the third week in June until the third week in August. From mid-May until early September, volleyball nets can be rented per hour or for the day and stand-up paddleboards (SUPs) can be rented by the hour. This can be done from beach and lifeguard staff. After rainfalls, swimming is often prohibited due to excessive bacteria. The City of Ottawa posts water quality results on its websites and signs are posted when swimming is unsafe.
Many wedding parties have their photos taken by the arched wooden bridges with weeping willows as a backdrop in the spring and summer months. Mooney’s Bay is also home to Pirate Adventures, an interactive pirate-theatre cruise. Baja Burger Shack is a licensed bar and grill at Mooney’s Bay. Mooney’s Bay Park has been adopted by the Omicron-Pi Chapter of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity.
Mooney’s Bay is an artificial bay on the Rideau River. The Bay was created during the construction of the Rideau Canal when a dam was built, creating Hog’s Back Falls, with canal locks for boats to bypass the falls. This created a widened area of the river, suitable for boating.
Mooney’s Bay was named after three generations of Mooneys who held the position of Lockmaster at Narrows Lock covering 87 of the first 112 years of the lock’s history. Michael Mooney and Michael Mooney Jr, who operated the Rideau Lock between the years of 1856 -1871 then passing the Lockmaster obligations onto his son 1874 to 1894.
The Mooney reign did not end there. Son of Michael Mooney Jr. and Kate Carty Mooney, Michael Edmund Mooney, temporarily took over as lockmaster for the summer of 1895. He used the name Edmund to avoid confusion with his father and grandfather and was better known as “Ebb.” Ebb was discharged late in 1896, but was reappointed as permanent lockmaster in 1897 and served until 1946.
A photograph of a group of Mooney and Carty children at a picnic at the Narrows Lockstation circa 1900
The Mooney family has deep ties throughout Ontario including Kitchener, Sudbury, Toronto, Smiths Falls and Ottawa and is also a deeply rooted military family with a rich history in the Canadian Forces. The son of Ebb and Birdie Lynch Mooney was Thomas Edmund Mooney, the first Canadian Catholic Chaplain to die in action in World War 2.
Carty Mooney, Michael Edmund Mooney, temporarily took over as lockmaster for the summer of 1895. He used the name Edmund to avoid confusion with his father and grandfather and was better known as “Ebb.” Ebb was discharged late in 1896, but was reappointed as permanent lockmaster in 1897 and served until 1946.
Sheffield Glen is a neighbourhood in Alta Vista Ward in southeast Ottawa. It is bounded on the west by Russel Road, on the south by Walkley Road and on the north and east by Lancaster Road. The neighbourhood is more commonly referred to as Southvale by Ottawans, but appears as Sheffield Glen on maps. Southvale Crescent is the name of the main street which runs through the neighbourhood and is home to a majority of residents. The neighbourhood is home to many apartment buildings and townhouses. Its population according to the Canada 2011 Census was 2877. This decreased to 2,744 according to the Canada 2016 Census.
The Canadian Museum of Science and Technology is located adjacent to the neighbourhood on Lancaster Road.
The neighbourhood is surrounded on three sides by industrial areas, and on the west side by Hawthorne Meadows.
South Keys is a neighbourhood in Gloucester-Southgate Ward in the south end of Ottawa. It is bounded by Johnston Road to the north, Albion Road to the east, the Airport Parkway to the west, and Hunt Club Road to the south. According to the Canada 2011 Census, the neighbourhood has a population of 2,849. The neighbourhood is part of the South Keys Greenboro Community Association.
The South Keys Shopping Centre owner notes that there are 3,270 households comprising 8,513 people within a one-kilometre radius of the shopping centre. The average household income within this radius is $77,418. Expanding the radius to five kilometres captures 130,934 people living in 50,084 households with an average income of $85,092.
A June 2012 report by Ottawa Magazine called it one of the 20 best neighbourhoods in Ottawa for first-time home buyers.
Several main roads run from the South Keys neighbourhood directly downtown, such as Bank Street and the Airport Parkway (which becomes Bronson Avenue). The OC Transpo Transitway includes train and bus stops at South Keys and Greenboro Stations.
- Posted Rates
- Our Rates